Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TK6000 By netTalk ???  (Read 24443 times)

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
Re: TK6000 By netTalk ???
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 12:21:55 PM »
OK so far voice quality is very good, have had a couple of calls break up for a few seconds but that's it.  I'd really like to do more testing on the fax thing since they claim fax is suppose to be reliable.  Does anyone know a good fax test number?  I've been all over the internet and can't really find anything.  What would be perfect is if there were one that would send your fax back to you.  Most Internet services want you to sign up, which I've done, but they aren't giving me what I need.  The HP test number only returns a dark line and the words your test, or something like that, but it's sending back off CID which doesn't let me know if a good fax was received.  I want to do this over a period of days or weeks to test whether or not it can be used reliably, without bugging anyone else.  So if any of you know of any such type test line please let me know.

Thanks

Offline Skip555

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
how about a free Efax 30 day trial ?

http://www.efax.com/efax-free

it will email the fax to you and you can check quality that way

I had a couple accounts with them when the offred free service and I would use it for that , fax  my E FAX number then look at the email for quality

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »
Thanks Skip.  I tried that one, but not really what I was looking for.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
Bill, any problems yet with the TK6000?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
OK here's the review, I was going to wait another week, but if anything further shows up I can post it.

Voice quality is consistently good to excellent

Fax is iffy, there are those on the NetTalk forum who claim a higher than 95% success rate if they lower their speed, I haven't found that to be true.  It doesn't seem to matter the speed in my test.  Of course once you throw data into a cloud you're looking to loose something in the process.  I wouldn't recommend it as a reliable use for faxing.

If you call a number that requires prompts and need to redial, you can't use the automatic redial feature.  The soft switch doesn't strip off the digits after 10 as a CO switch would so you get an uncompleted call announcement.  This should be easy to correct and I've brought it to their attention.  You can also dial manually and put an extra digit at the end and it will also fail.

I've had occasional voice garble or echo, but to this point it's only lasted a few seconds, so nothing I have a big problem with.

There is one problem to some areas that they need to see if they can fix.  To some locations when I call there is a delay in when the call is answered and when their soft switch sees the off hook, which results in the far end saying they said hello a couple times before you hear them.

I like the fact that you can put it on your router or hub and don't have to go through the computer, so it doesn't dump garbage on your computer as Magic Jack does.  It can be used either way for those who travel and want to use it through their computer.

Over all I wouldn't have any problem recommending this to people for a cheap additional line for voice.

If anyone would like to hear for themselves pm me your number and I'll call you on it.

Cost was 72 and change for the unit and 1 years service, 29.95 per year after that.  So about 10 bucks more per year than Magic Jack, but you probably save that much per year by not having to leave your computer turned on.

EDIT: To add 48 volts on hook, 8 volts off and loop current of 25.  Didn't measure the ringing voltage.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
Thanks Bill, maybe it's time for me to try one.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
No problem Larry.  It's the NetTalk Duo the tk6000 was discontinued.  Nettalk.com

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »
Very nice review Bill.

Now, have you give it any thought about adding it to a co port on a ksu?
Using it say as a call out line only.
TJ

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:14 PM »
Have it on an STSe using for outgoing only as you stated.

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
You da man :011:
TJ

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
Just to give an additional update.  Still no major problems.  The issue with redial if you've used prompts they say can't be resolved, no real big deal.  The issue with delayed answer was quickly resolved.  Their ticket reporting system is easy to use and their tech support is quick to reply.  Like all tech support, seems like you have to explain your problem several times before they understand it.

I'm still using it for out going calls and would rate it at or above cell phones for call clarity and reliability.

This will be my last report on it unless something major shows up or anyone has questions.  If it keeps working as it is I will renew when the time comes.

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the update, and your time and effort.
TJ

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
Well, I'm thinking this over again. One way or another I'm dropping at&t regardless of what I use to replace them.

One question, do is have call waiting caller id?

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure they don't Bobby.  You could ask on their forum if you'd like.  I'll stand by my previous report, it's a good inexpensive 2nd line.  Sometimes there is some latency, choppy voice or echo, most of the time it's very good.  In my opinion it is not reliable for fax or data transmission.

I use mine for outgoing calls only.  At this time I wouldn't replace my landline with it, but I know many on their forum say they have.  A lot depends on your Internet speed also, I just have 1.5.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »
Thanks Bill. I'm running 7-8 Mbps down and 3/4-1 Mbps up so
that would not be a problem. No call waiting caller Id would
kill the deal for me alone.  

I'll see what I can find out and post back.  :003:

Update: I couldn't find the answer I was looking for but at this point
            I've decided to just stay with MJ because the only time I care
            about receiving calls is when I'm home & when I'm home it's
            a pretty safe bet at least one pc is running.  :066:

Netalk looks like it will do the trick but I've just decided to go another way.