Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TK6000 By netTalk ???  (Read 24444 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

TK6000 By netTalk ???
« on: May 15, 2010, 04:33:22 PM »
This thing looks similar to magic jack but a little better in price and the fact your computer does not have to be on for it to work. Anyone here tried it yet?
 Link: https://www.tk6000.com/

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: TK6000 By netTalk ???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »
Well I looked at the link Bobby and I'm interested. I hope somebody has one and can tell us about it. :054:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
Looks like it's US only. No other option in the country menu except United States.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
It looks like you can get a Canadian number for an additional fee.
Link: http://forum.nettalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=474

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
Last time I searched the Internet on these there wasn't much new.  Lot's of old bugs and nothing to indicate they've all been fixed.  There used to be a NetTalk forum, but I see it's been removed.

I'd be interested in it too if I could find anyone whose used it and get a first hand review on it.

Offline liquidvw

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
I was looking at that unit awhile back.  It looks better then the MJ, but wasn't sure if I wanted to make the investment, so I never bought it.  At one point in time they had $99 for lifetime service.  Not a bad deal if it works well. 

Offline Skip555

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
the problem with "lifetime " is the life of the company offering it  I was tempted to get the 5 year for 70 magic jack offer but then I thought will MJ be here in 5 years ?

will I want to use it for 5 years ?

the tk6000 is still 100 so you can run the magic jack for about 6 years for that (40 for jack and first year , 60 for 3 additional years unless you buy a package you could get a magic jack for 40 then buy the 5 year 70 deal and you would have 6 years for 110)

I just use my MJ for outgoing so the on all the time feature is no big deal for me I like my MJ and think it was a great buy others have reported the opposite experience  I would think the TK6000 would be of similar quality

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
Well I went ahead and ordered one.  I never liked the idea of the MJ dropping stuff on your computer.  I'll let ya know when I get it and how I like it.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
 :045: Thanks Bill. The main reason it perked my interest is the fact you don't have to have pc running all the time.

I'm considering doing away with my land line because I rarely use it. If I make 3 calls per week on the land line it's unusual. Sometimes I will go weeks without using it at all. Mainly because I like the bluetooth headset and with the unlimited minutes I have on my cell phone I prefer to use it but I don't like having to leave a pc running 24/7.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:16:19 PM »
No problem Bobby, I'll give y'all a review when I've used it a bit.  Being retired AT&T I really didn't need it, one of the perks ya know.  Ya never know when you'll need a back up though.  One of the main reasons I got it per the reviews there's no problem sending fax via the NetTalk so that's what I may use it for most though I will direct all LD calls through it so I can let y'all know how the voice quality is.

Per the order it takes two to three weeks to get it.  30 day money back so I don't have a lot to loose.  More to follow.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »
Just an update.  TK6000 hasn't been received yet, so speed is not part of the process.  :064:

Edit: I emailed the company they said do to order volume they are on backorder.  Wonder if it's volume or going under?  :023:

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 07:25:47 AM »
Thanks Bill. That sounds kind of fishy to me too. I hope it's not a rip-off.
I'll bet the charge didn't take long to appear on your credit/debit card!

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »
No actually it didn't.  They are holding true to the "your card won't be charged until shipped" statement.  They aren't providing and estimate of when it will be shipped though.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »
OK another update, for the record nothing has been charged to my CC as yet.

Recieved an email a few days ago and a post card today saying the TK6000 is on back order.  Also that a new improved  is coming out this month and I'll receive an email when it's available.  So as I know more I'll pass it on.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
Received an email today this is their new product. http://www.nettalkusa.com/email/20100714/

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
Just wanted to add, we may be moving out of town and will no longer have DSL access.  Only dial up or satellite, which it wouldn't work with so I've canceled the order until I'm sure of our status.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
"New and improved"   I guess that translates to the former one was a piece of crap! :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
That would be a pretty good bet Larry.  :066:

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »
Well,,, I think from what I've seen here I wouldn't waste my money or time on this thing. Personally, I think it's either a rip-off or they are trying to collect enough money to actually produce the product.

Either way it's a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for trying Bill!

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »
Well our deal on the house in the country fell through, much as it dashed our hopes and nothing looking good in the near future, so I went ahead and ordered one of their "new and improved" models.  

If I ever get this one  :022: I'll let y'all know how it works.  65 bucks plus tax for one year of service, so not much to loose.  I think it's 29 bucks a year after that, but all that info is in the link I posted earlier.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
Received it today.  Very simple set up, I put it on my hub so as not to have to go through the computer.  Made several calls, local and LD all sounded clear with no clipping, have not tried to fax out on it yet.  Only draw back of course is out here in the sticks I can't get a local number so I chose one out of Omaha, you could pick one anywhere you wish where there's numbers though.

So as I use it if I run into any bugs I'll let y'all know.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
Thanks for the update Bill, I may want to try one myself. :003:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
Well I sent a fax to the HP fax test number.  I did get a fax test call back, I would assume off the CID.  First time I got a blank page, second time nothing.  So not sure about the fax thing.  Anyone got a fax I can send to to see if you receive it.  PM if you don't mind, it will be brief just to see if you get it.  Don't want to put this number in the open forum for you to try to me, but I'll put it in the fax I send.

Thanks all.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
PM sent to Bill :003:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 08:23:34 PM »
Fax sent Larry.  Thanks.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 08:26:33 PM »
Hey Larry Hang on a bit, I'm messed up on my end.  Trying to do too much at once.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
Got a com error on the second one.  Did you get the first one.  I'm beginning to think fax feature may not work too good.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
The first fax was perfect but the second failed. I tried to send two times and both failed.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »
Bill i have been following the post, and i am not to surprised the fax is no go/ go at times.
I was thinking about use for dial up modem and i sure the results would be the same.
I assume this ckt. would act somewhat like a SIP call. Sometimes you just cant beat POTS.
They are charging to much for POTS service in my way of thinking. Glad we have a tester on board.
"C" lead not releaseing on the connector switch (lol)
TJ

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
Ya Larry and I play around a bit.  The fax thing is a hit and miss at this time, so can't recommend for that, I will keep using it for fax just to see how it goes, but I really don't send or receive many faxes.  As far as voice quality goes, so far it's been great, keep in mind this is just the first day though.  Larry and I spoke for 10-15 minutes and sounded real good.  Made quite a few calls today with it, all clear and only one cut off.  That was after my wife had talked to her sister for about 40 minutes.  Knowing my sister-in-law it could have been a dead battery on her cordless.  :022:

I'll report back any problems.  If none I'll let y'all know in a couple weeks how it's been going.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 12:21:55 PM »
OK so far voice quality is very good, have had a couple of calls break up for a few seconds but that's it.  I'd really like to do more testing on the fax thing since they claim fax is suppose to be reliable.  Does anyone know a good fax test number?  I've been all over the internet and can't really find anything.  What would be perfect is if there were one that would send your fax back to you.  Most Internet services want you to sign up, which I've done, but they aren't giving me what I need.  The HP test number only returns a dark line and the words your test, or something like that, but it's sending back off CID which doesn't let me know if a good fax was received.  I want to do this over a period of days or weeks to test whether or not it can be used reliably, without bugging anyone else.  So if any of you know of any such type test line please let me know.

Thanks

Offline Skip555

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
how about a free Efax 30 day trial ?

http://www.efax.com/efax-free

it will email the fax to you and you can check quality that way

I had a couple accounts with them when the offred free service and I would use it for that , fax  my E FAX number then look at the email for quality

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »
Thanks Skip.  I tried that one, but not really what I was looking for.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
Bill, any problems yet with the TK6000?

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
OK here's the review, I was going to wait another week, but if anything further shows up I can post it.

Voice quality is consistently good to excellent

Fax is iffy, there are those on the NetTalk forum who claim a higher than 95% success rate if they lower their speed, I haven't found that to be true.  It doesn't seem to matter the speed in my test.  Of course once you throw data into a cloud you're looking to loose something in the process.  I wouldn't recommend it as a reliable use for faxing.

If you call a number that requires prompts and need to redial, you can't use the automatic redial feature.  The soft switch doesn't strip off the digits after 10 as a CO switch would so you get an uncompleted call announcement.  This should be easy to correct and I've brought it to their attention.  You can also dial manually and put an extra digit at the end and it will also fail.

I've had occasional voice garble or echo, but to this point it's only lasted a few seconds, so nothing I have a big problem with.

There is one problem to some areas that they need to see if they can fix.  To some locations when I call there is a delay in when the call is answered and when their soft switch sees the off hook, which results in the far end saying they said hello a couple times before you hear them.

I like the fact that you can put it on your router or hub and don't have to go through the computer, so it doesn't dump garbage on your computer as Magic Jack does.  It can be used either way for those who travel and want to use it through their computer.

Over all I wouldn't have any problem recommending this to people for a cheap additional line for voice.

If anyone would like to hear for themselves pm me your number and I'll call you on it.

Cost was 72 and change for the unit and 1 years service, 29.95 per year after that.  So about 10 bucks more per year than Magic Jack, but you probably save that much per year by not having to leave your computer turned on.

EDIT: To add 48 volts on hook, 8 volts off and loop current of 25.  Didn't measure the ringing voltage.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
Thanks Bill, maybe it's time for me to try one.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
No problem Larry.  It's the NetTalk Duo the tk6000 was discontinued.  Nettalk.com

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »
Very nice review Bill.

Now, have you give it any thought about adding it to a co port on a ksu?
Using it say as a call out line only.
TJ

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:14 PM »
Have it on an STSe using for outgoing only as you stated.

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
You da man :011:
TJ

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
Just to give an additional update.  Still no major problems.  The issue with redial if you've used prompts they say can't be resolved, no real big deal.  The issue with delayed answer was quickly resolved.  Their ticket reporting system is easy to use and their tech support is quick to reply.  Like all tech support, seems like you have to explain your problem several times before they understand it.

I'm still using it for out going calls and would rate it at or above cell phones for call clarity and reliability.

This will be my last report on it unless something major shows up or anyone has questions.  If it keeps working as it is I will renew when the time comes.

Offline STSE

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »
Thanks for the update, and your time and effort.
TJ

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
Well, I'm thinking this over again. One way or another I'm dropping at&t regardless of what I use to replace them.

One question, do is have call waiting caller id?

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure they don't Bobby.  You could ask on their forum if you'd like.  I'll stand by my previous report, it's a good inexpensive 2nd line.  Sometimes there is some latency, choppy voice or echo, most of the time it's very good.  In my opinion it is not reliable for fax or data transmission.

I use mine for outgoing calls only.  At this time I wouldn't replace my landline with it, but I know many on their forum say they have.  A lot depends on your Internet speed also, I just have 1.5.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »
Thanks Bill. I'm running 7-8 Mbps down and 3/4-1 Mbps up so
that would not be a problem. No call waiting caller Id would
kill the deal for me alone.  

I'll see what I can find out and post back.  :003:

Update: I couldn't find the answer I was looking for but at this point
            I've decided to just stay with MJ because the only time I care
            about receiving calls is when I'm home & when I'm home it's
            a pretty safe bet at least one pc is running.  :066:

Netalk looks like it will do the trick but I've just decided to go another way.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
Bobby,  I hooked my butt set up to this and there is no data burst when monitored, just the call waiting beep.  So that confirms no call waiting caller id.

Offline justbill

• Pro Shop Member
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
Bobby, I stand corrected per this link http://www.nettalk.com/features
I haven't retested, but I never heard the data burst when monitoring with my buttset.  I posted the question on their forum and was directed to the link and another poster said it works for them.

Caller ID
What it is:
See what the number is, then decide if you want to answer There are telephone carriers that charge as much as $7.50 per month for Caller ID. Not at netTALK. We give you the control plus information you need - and you pay not a penny more! Caller ID works with Call Waiting as well. You can be on the phone when someone else calls. See what number is calling and if you choose, do not answer. The call will simply go to your voicemail. Cool!

How it works:
The phone number you select when you login to the online customer account manager becomes your caller ID.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 05:55:41 PM »
Thanks Bill. I just decided to stay with MJ because I have two cell phones now (one private and one from work)
and my wife has one as well as my daughter so I guess if someone really wants to reach me they have plenty of means to do so.  :003:

The management at the hospital understands that lugging two phones around is kind of excessive so they say we are allowed to use the "company" phones as if they were our own. We have unlimited minutes and unlimited data plans but I just don't feel right about that. Besides, if anything ever came up I will honestly be able to say I do not use hospital resources for personal use.  :066: