Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Firefox dilemma  (Read 2932 times)

Offline bluzman

• Technician
Firefox dilemma
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »
Good Morning- Hey I was reading NT's Chrome post and it relit a problem I had the other day. I normally use Firefox for web browsing, I've been told IE is the browser that is the most risky to get infected. Anyway, I was at a State of Kansas website, and was unable to access portions of their site. After contacting the agency, I was told that I had to use a different browser to access the "request info." section of their site. The person that I spoke with could not/would not offer up an explanation. Anyone explain???

Signed,

Geek I Knot
Jeffrey N Lusk
Rainbow Communications
Hiawatha, KS.

Online telemarv

Re: Firefox dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »
All browser not equal. HTML (the language of browsers) has morphed and not all code is readable by all browsers.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »
That's actually quite common.  I see it in banking and secure links a lot.  For instance some portals used for paying State Sales Tax and Corporate Franchise Tax here are, or at least were that way in that you had to use IE.

Now just as far as for being able to view a page, different browsers are the headache of web site builders.  I can't begin to tell you how many times I would have a line that displays perfectly in one browser and not another.  :061:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline silversam

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
Not recently, but certainly several years ago, it was very common for programmers to write code that would work only with IE. Whether it was on purpose or by accident, it was very common then, less so now.

When I used Windows, I had pretty much standardized on Firefox. They had a plug in that emulated IE and that worked. I've been on Macs since I retired and haven't had a problem with anything using Safari.

Sam

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
I would also check to see what version of Internet Explorer you were/are using. IE10 has been recently released and it is definitely NOT compatible with some web sites!

Other than that you can experience problems viewing webpages because of outdated java versions (or pages that can't handle newer java versions) .... The list go's on and on....

I'm not a big fan of Google Chrome but you can always download and install it to see if it will work for whatever you're trying to view.

On a side note, I used to love FireFox but it became such a resource hog I stay away from it now!

Online Keighlar

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
IE10 has given me a lot of compatibility issues.  Firefox used to be my browser of choice until it bloated itself out of regular use, but IE9 was actually fast, secure and sleek.  I was using it much of the time.  Since IE10 though, Chrome has become my browser of choice.  I do use all three for different purposes, but if a page won't render I find that 9 times out of 10, Chrome works.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »
I do use all three for different purposes.

It's become almost required.  Thanks for the heads up on Chrome.  A huge issue is that you can't update IE any further on the XP boxes, and corporate America still has a LOT of those.  Until you move to Win 7 you're stuck at IE 8.  Does MS really think that is going to make people spend the money to upgrade to 7 instead of switching browsers?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Skip555

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
I use firefox on my XP box chrome was too slow , I use chrome elsewhere and only use IE when I have to  but yea every once in awhile I have problems with firefox or chrome at a site  and go looking for IE
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84