Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Welcome New Members - Please Introduce Yourself  (Read 98928 times)

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
Re: Welcome New Members - Please Introduce Yourself
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2014, 05:29:52 AM »
Welcome to the board Patrick!

What type systems do you service?

I don't have any one system that I support. I deal mostly with the infrastructure side of things and I am currently dealing with a very old and porly maintained Panasonic DBS 576 system at the local fairgrounds.

I have also worked with the old Partner systems and  several Adtrans.
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2014, 09:57:05 AM »
I don't have any one system that I support. I deal mostly with the infrastructure side of things and I am currently dealing with a very old and porly maintained Panasonic DBS 576 system at the local fairgrounds.

I have also worked with the old Partner systems and  several Adtrans.

Well it's great to have you.  Wayne is our resident Panasonic guru, so maybe he can help you with that old system should you need any.  I'm glad to hear that you  have some Adtran knowledge.  We battled an issue a few years ago on one that had everyone shrugging their shoulders.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
Nice to have you aboard Patrick.

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2014, 01:15:57 AM »
thanks everyone for the warm welcome
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Offline Richardb

Re: Welcome New Members - Richard Buck
« Reply #304 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:31 PM »
Hello all! New member here, great site and very happy to have found it.
My name is Richard Buck, I have been working in telecom since 1992. I just got the BICSI TECH cert this December,  easier than I thought, and now my boss wants me to get RCDD.
 I have done outside plant line construction, inside plant, fiber splicing, copper splicing and the list goes on and on.
I worked up on Alaska's North Slope for the last 15 yrs as an O&M tech for two different oil companies.  This was a great job, lots of exposure to many different technologies and ideas.  I have gone to work in helicopters, boats, snow machines and hover craft and tracked rigs. I have worked on the worlds largest directional drilling rig and other extreme type applications. I have installed tower top microwave dishes and wave guide, done tower work at -40 below but as they say " Its tougher in Alaska". I grew up in Fairbanks, AK so I have been here since 1971.
So I am responding to a request to introduce myself from CMDL Guy.  I posted in the paging section and received good feed back.
So CMDL GUY; i am not dealer of KSUs and I have never installed a complete unit before so I am not bidding this portion of the project.  I just started with a new local contractor " STAR ELECTRIC " here in Fairbanks AK.  I am the comm dept and this contractor has never had a comm dept.  I really don't want to get into the position of saying I can do something but can't deliver.  My boss nor I can afford it so I need to hold back a bit.  I have contacts and I will probably call and have a discussion or two.  For all my years, and the varied background,  there are things I just haven't done and this industry is so vast its hard to claim knowledge of everything and I have to draw the line somewhere.

Online MrGemini

• Administrator
    • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #305 on: February 16, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
Very nice Bio Richard!
Welcome aboard!  :047:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
Very nice Bio Richard!
Welcome aboard!  :047:

times 2!   :054:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: February 16, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »
Welcome to the board Richard. 

This is a smaller community, but that's because it's not geared too much toward supporting end users with anything more than what end users are supposed to be doing.  That said as a telcom professional you'll find the core group here as being an awesome resource and a wealth of information. 

Offline silversam

« Reply #308 on: February 16, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
Welcome!

Sam

Offline ds1

« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2015, 04:03:36 PM »
Hello Guys,

I am in Charlotte NC and just got back into the equipment game.. Some background.. Sold phone systems from '93-'01 then opened up my own shop in '02 , strapped on the work belt and learned how to put them in myself!  I sold the business in '08 to another "one man shop" who relocated to the area and then I got into Internet Marketing the last 7 years..

So, lately I got itchy to get out of the house and stop staring at computer screens all day doing internet marketing, and I decided (with the help of my wife- who wants me out of the house!) to get back into installing phone systems again....  trouble is, the system i knew really well, the nortel norstar is now DEAD!!   

So, an old telecom buddy recommended the NEC SL 100 and I signed up through the local distibutor ADI to become an installer... So, today I am  starting to weigh the options of also becoming an ESI dealer...

Can any of you tell me your experiences with either system?  I have read quite a bit on the forum so far on both NEC SL and the ESI.. so I would like to read your opinions on the systems and the support you get as an installer...

Thanks,
David

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:16 PM »
Hi David,

First off, welcome to the board.  It's great to have you.  There are lots of one man shops around here which accounts at least a little for the slow response to your post.  :011:

The other reason is there isn't much support here to end users, other than "end user" level support.  We do have some amazing telco minds here for supporting other telcom professionals like yourself though.  

I completely understand your position.  From a phone system standpoint, I'm pretty much an Inter-Tel guy which was gobbled up by Mitel to get rid of the competition.  My company still services a lot of them, but like you I have been looking at some other options, and let me tell you it's hard to find a small business level cabinet that will do what the Inter-Tel systems do.  That said, also like you I have been looking hard at the NEC SL1100, and Stacey, (board name Keighlar) has been a wealth of knowledge in helping me learn much about that system.

As for ESI, John Grider here on the board probably knows more about ESI than any tech I've ever met.  He's also a business owner so he can tell you the pros and cons of paying the extra fees to be a premium level distributor or whatever the term is ESI uses.

:054:

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #311 on: June 03, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
David,

If you've read through some of the SL1100 posts here on the board, you'll see that my opinion on this little system has changed over time. It does a lot for the lowest price point I've seen and the NEC Support is top notch.  If you have any specific questions, please feel free to open up a topic in the NEC forum.

Welcome back to the game!  :064:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline ds1

« Reply #312 on: June 04, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
HI MacGyver and Keighlar,

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I am hearing great things about both systems the last few weeks I have been researching. Most phone techs work on 1-2 systems so I think I am going to adopt both. 

I liked what I saw from the SL 1100 and watched a few webinars on NTAC... my only concern was that it maxed out at under 100 digital sets (more sets can be added by VOIP of course) but that made me pause a bit... Back when I had my business years ago I had 2 clients that started with 5-10 phone and grew to over 100 within 2 years.  The Norstar accommodated that growth and they loved that they could keep their phones and switch out for more system cabinets.  I see the ESI System has that kind of growth with "evergreen" technology like the Norstar did.  It also has a lot more features that I didnt know about (that the NEC SL 1100 does not) like connection to access control hardware, connection to surveillance cameras plus the "verbal help" already built into the phones is a huge help for clients who want their hand held.

I am very excited to be back in the game and have both of these phone systems to market and the forum to support me!  If any of you are in Charlotte or Raleigh and need a hand with cabling, or anything, just let me know! :045:

Cheers,
David

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: June 04, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
I feel your pain David.  The old Inter-Tel systems did it all and more.  In fact we're still putting referb systems with warranties because it's so hard to find a suitable replacement.  Some of the things about the NEC concerns me as well.  I really didn't like the plastic cabinet with stacked cards.  In the past we've had to walk users through frogging a card with one we left on site.  It's common for us to do that with locations that are hours away so they're not down until we can get there.  With real cabinets that's not major surgery, but if you have to disassemble the entire cabinet to get to the bottom card, the system is down the entire time you're doing it, and it's not an end user friendly task.

I'm actually on a web conference with a technology company in Raleigh right now.  We don't do much out there, but I'll make sure my contacts out there know about you just in case they need anything.

Offline ds1

« Reply #314 on: June 04, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »
I'm actually on a web conference with a technology company in Raleigh right now.  We don't do much out there, but I'll make sure my contacts out there know about you just in case they need anything.

that would be great.. thanks MacGyver!!