Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is anyone here familiar with iPhone updates?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline EV607797

Is anyone here familiar with iPhone updates?
« on: July 03, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
I just updated my iPhone 4 (yes, I know it is old) to iOS 7.1.2.  Before I did this, I did a backup of my contacts, notes and photos to my iCloud account.  Once this was done, I downloaded and installed the new OS.  Everything worked out after about three hours, but only my contacts came back.  The other items are missing.  I've looked at my iCloud account on my laptop and it shows a large file of data being there for the date of the backup, but it doesn't allow me to do anything with it.  I can't even view what's in there.  I tried the traditional double-click, right click, etc., but nothing happens.

They say that you're just supposed to connect to WiFi, power up and lock the phone and the transfer from iCloud will happen automatically, but that's not happening.  There's no option on the phone itself to do a manual recovery, only a backup TO the iCloud account.

Am I missing something?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline silversam

Re: Is anyone here familiar with iPhone updates?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:43:34 PM »
Call Apple - I believe they'll work with you gratis if it's a sw upgrade.

800-275-2273

Sam

Offline EV607797

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »
Thanks, Sam.  I just called them and it appears that my backed up data is gone.  There's quite a bit of data stored in my backup file, but it won't transfer back over through standard protocol.  They can't tell me why, but thankfully, it wasn't super critical, mostly pictures.  Oh well.

I'm glad to know that everything that I tried was right.  The system just failed.  They strongly recommended that I use my iTunes account in the future for backups as it is a more reliable storage medium.  I'm not sure why.

So much for this cloud storage rage, huh?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 05:16:34 PM »
iTunes    :020:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline telemarv

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:13:37 PM »
Apple  :031:
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 08:52:48 AM »
iTunes    :020:

Apple  :031:

Hate shItunes!  :014:

I have three wide screen monitors that span 5', with 5' of taskbar that transverses all three monitors.  There are usually many projects in gestation at any one time and so that taskbar is literally full.  As a result, I have to try to plan reboots because there is always something pulled up that is "in progress."  Therefore I normally only reboot that machine 3-4 times a year.  If I ever launched Itunes for a sync it was over.  Once the program was launched, reboot was eminent within 2 days.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.