Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Favorite Cell Phone Apps  (Read 8682 times)

Offline silversam

Re: Your Favorite Cell Phone Apps
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
I've got OnStar and I no longer use it. Waze rocks.

Sam

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »
I've been using waze for 2 years. It just keeps getting better!

Even when I know where I'm going I check it to get traffic conditions.
Reliable Telephone Service

Offline Rhonda

• Wells Manufacturing, L.P.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »
If you shop at Walmart, there is one available to scan your receipt and get money back if the items you purchased are cheaper elsewhere.  App "Walmart"

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 08:21:18 AM »
Well I'm sure it is boring but I use the Weather Channel app.    You can enter up to 10 locations to track the weather and weather alerts.  It helps with travel plans since it is not unusual for me to be a few hundred miles away on any given day. Weather conditions in this region can differ quit a bit from one location to the other during the same day.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »
I have Weather.com also.  I love knowing the weather when I want it rather than waiting for the local news.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »
Another one I use is Zello. It's a Walkie Talkie that runs over wifi. Great at the cottage or anywhere there is no cell service but you have internet via wifi. My brother (a long haul trucker foing runs to the USA) uses it to keep in touch with his wife.

Also if your provider has it, is wifi calling. Again same as above.

Marv will that only work when connected to an access point or is there a way to use it across the cellular data network?  Also is it just one to one connection, or can do a group broadcast? 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 08:58:53 PM »
Trace as long as you have a data connection, either wifi or cell it works. I love it for cable testing with another tech.

I've not tried it, but the web page says up to 1000 at one time.

https://zello.com/app
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
Sounds awesome Marv.  Thanks for the tip. :054:

Added:  Marv does that show the location of the other member of the conversation?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Rhonda

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 07:46:59 AM »
For those of you who know Clark Howard (www.clarkhoward.com) he likes to share any ways for us to "spend less and save more."  Here are a few apps that he suggests for various shopping needs.  I have not tried any of these yet but thought I'd share since we're on topic...

Are you getting the best price when you shop online? Follow these simple steps and you'll be able to score the real deals!

Airlines have long used something called dynamic demand pricing (aka yield management) to determine the price of seats on flights. Historical analysis of sales, behavioral patterns of buyers, the rate of bookings and, even unemployment rates, among other factors, control the price per seat. No two seats are sold for the same price.  Now that idea has been spreading to other consumer segments, particularly online selling.

A recent Wall Street Journal analysis of prices on a high-end microwave was particularly revealing. The pricing changed nine times in a single day from $899 to $744. Not on a similar item -- on the same exact item.  Even within an hour, price can change three times from the same online seller!  Websites and apps that help you find the best deals online So the price is not necessarily the price. Most people won't obsess to the degree of checking prices nine times a day. At the most, they'll just comparison shop once among two or more websites.

But if you really want the best deal, you must check not just once or twice, but repeatedly. If you feel your time is worth more than the potential savings, that's fine. Don't do it. But knowing that prices never stop moving is very important if you're looking for the absolute lowest price.

If you want an easy way to see if a quoted price is a deal or not, there's a website called DealNews.com that will identify deals based on a 5-circle system. DealsNews is, hands down, my favorite website for shopping deals.

Another alternative would be to install a browser plug-in like Invisible Hand that automatically pops up an alert while you're shopping if a better price is available on another website.
Then I've seen a slew of newer websites come along that you can add to your arsenal of strategies to land a deal.

Nifti.com is a website that will track an item for you and let you know the price trends. Should you buy now or should you wait until prices drop? This website lets you see which way prices are headed.

Ever been frustrated by coupon code websites with codes that don't work? CNBC.com reports that Chippmunk.com  says they will not publish any code that is not valid at the time. If they can deliver on that, that's going to huge!

For grocery shoppers, there's also a site called Checkout 51. It's like a cash-back program for supermarkets. This app lets you save on the brands you love: Get new offers weekly, buy from any store, snap a photo of the receipt, and get cash back once you have a minimum of $20 in rewards!

Finally, there's one of my favorite old standbys for Amazon customers.  Shoppers can typically get a better deal if they put something in their cart and then abandon it before the final purchase. That usually signals to Amazon that you're willing to walk away and triggers a lower price the next time you put it in your cart to checkout. Give it a try!