Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microsoft's Free, Online Version of Office To Premier This Week  (Read 2434 times)

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
From the Seattle Times

Big leap: Microsoft makes free version of Office, its cash cow

By Sharon Pian Chan
Seattle Times technology reporter

MICROSOFT
In the beginning, there was word processing.

Then, simply, Word.

Spreadsheets became Excel. Presentation software, if it was ever known by such a name, was simply PowerPoint. Long before Google's preeminence in search, Microsoft dominated business and personal software with a suite known as Office.

The company launches its latest version, Office 2010, on Wednesday in New York — and the stakes couldn't be higher.

The lucrative franchise is threatened by a changing market spouting a four-letter word: free. The biggest threat comes from Google, specifically Google Docs, Web applications accessible from any computer.

Because of Google, Microsoft has been forced to make a free ad-supported version called Office Web Apps.

Google's software is unlikely to depose Office, especially among heavy business users who write reports, draw up corporate budgets and put together sales presentations. But Office 2010 does represent a slow tipping of the entire technology industry, from a PC world Microsoft long has dominated to a cloud-computing world, where software roams free on the computer, phone, tablet and television, and the old ways of making money are changing.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline TexasTechnician

Re: Microsoft's Free, Online Version of Office To Premier This Week
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »
I wonder why http://www.openoffice.org/ wasn't mentioned in the article.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Re: Microsoft's Free, Online Version of Office To Premier This Week
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »
I don't know for sure, but I would guess that since they don't have an online storage program, like Google Docs or Microsoft Docs, they weren't relative enough to the article.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com