Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows XP  (Read 2743 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Windows XP
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
Important notice for users of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3): The support for this product ends April 8, 2014. To ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows you need to upgrade to a later version such as Windows 7.

:016:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online telemarv

Re: Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
Yep i knew this day would come soon. 7 is ok but i like XP and i have corporate copy of Pro that I can load on as many machines as i want to.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »
Yep i knew this day would come soon. 7 is ok but i like XP and i have corporate copy of Pro that I can load on as many machines as i want to.

I have a purchased copy. Micro soft will not validate a copy if you put the harddrive in a new machine. I just took an OptiPlex 320 and install a new harddrive along with new/more memory.   When you load XP it will only run for 30 days until you validate it. I wonder if ending support will include ending the validation process?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:46:19 AM »
That's strange... I just installed a new copy of XP and I didn't have a problem. With that said... I have had problems with the process in the past. If that happens, I usually wait a day and try again or use the telephone option.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:58:45 AM »
I usually wait a day and try again or use the telephone option.

Yes Marc, it still works fine, but will it be available when support stops in April 2014?

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
This is merely a guess on my part but I would imagine you will be able to activate the software after the end of support. I don't recall seeing an expiration date on the software but the proof will be in the pudding I guess.

You can bet Microsoft will do whatever they want and there won't be a lot the customer can do about it. :003:

I really liked XP but the more I use 7 pro I hate to sit down in front of an XP machine to try to do anything! 7 is so much easier for me now. I have to hunt around in XP to do anything, in 7 I just start typing what I want to do in the "search" box and it will take me straight to whatever task I'm looking for. I'm spoiled!  :003:

Offline stevena

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
Hey, at least its 2 years later from now. I heard what appears to be now rumors that MS was going to issue EOL on XP.

I've used 7 and its like, if I wanted a Mac OS, I'd use a Mac. And I do use Mac OS with my various Macs.

Microsoft should just allow people to still use XP, its small amount of users that clearly know that they are using what others may think is "old". At least keep the OEM licensing going. Sometimes "newer" isn't better.

Also if they want to make the OS more usable - please change the outdated code because its very ridiculous that people can still use Windows 1.0 apps on a 32 bit version of Windows 7. Its just beyond unthinkable that they don't purge old code.