Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Call quality fluxuation and how to troubleshoot  (Read 7700 times)

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Call quality fluxuation and how to troubleshoot
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:43:01 AM »
Yeah... so that is a vague topic with big room for interpretation.

So, the basic problem is I have a customer who was sold a VoIP solution and from day 1 has had intermittent call quality issues. Garbles, echoes and eventually dropped calls. This happens 2-3 times a week, rendering the phones unusable... then magically the call quality returns without the customer resetting or changing anything. The provider doesn't want to do any troubleshooting, since they are 3 hours away and I am assuming they have no local techs. That's all well and fine, but the customer is suffering and I want to keep them happy, even though this has nothing to do with my physical layer network I installed. They are caught in the he said/she said VoIP triangle of ISP, Phone provider and reseller, without anyone willing to show up on site.

That's what has lead me here.

I want to know if there is a network analysis tool (like Wireshark/ether real) for VoIP... specifically one that the customer can download, run over a 24-48 hour period and get information that can be analyzed for troubleshooting. Then I can take that information to ISP and or phone provider and prove to them whose fault it is at that point.

FYI - from the research I did: they have a D-Link router with QoS enabled and prioritized over other traffic. They have a cable MoDem and their IT provider installed a Linksys E2100 wireless router too.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I assume I'm not the only one to have this issue and would love to get some tips for troubleshooting this and getting the customer to a consistent call quality, so they can get through a week of work!

:003:

Thanks y'all
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline telemarv

Re: Call quality fluxuation and how to troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
Tony i don't have an analyzer answer but I do have some insight.

Over the last four months I've been working a contract at Mitel HQ. It's given me an opportunity talk to the designers, programmers and testers of their IP systems.

The same things keep coming out.

First if you're using a SIP ITSP you are open to Internet fluctuations that are often unavoidable. The ISP really has little control over the networks between them and your client.

Second the network is critical. A network with QoS is essential but most often it is setup incorrectly. The priority level must be set the same in the phone system, the router and the data switch ports. The priority byte in a packet is not only examined by the router but also by the switch. Most often switches are not configured correctly to do this.

I've been arguing with an Allworx customer who is blaming the the system (which is also the router). When i visited him I discovered he is using consumer switches from Best Buy. I convinced him to let install a properly configured commercial grade HP switch and his echo, latency and jitter disappeared. D-Link is a consumer grade router.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
Re: Re: Call quality fluxuation and how to troubleshoot
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »
There is a physical device that can be put in the network to do what you need to get some idea of the issue. We use them on all of our hosted installs. I will get the info for you when I get back to the office.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
Last week we got a call from one of our Allworx customers.  Intermittent call quality issues and dropping of calls.  We spent at least two hours checking event logs, pinging remotely, talking to the network/IT guys (two)---something was wrong but we couldn't pin point it without a site visit.  We finally got permission to go there and found out almost immediately that it was a bad patch cord from the jack to the phone.  It's always the wire.........
Retired Now

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:07:54 PM »
Okay... the device is called PacketSmart. It's a great device, but it looks like it's no longer available to end users. You can Google it to see what I mean.

:016:
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline mdaniel

• Walker Communications, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »
I've been arguing with an Allworx customer who is blaming the the system (which is also the router). When i visited him I discovered he is using consumer switches from Best Buy. I convinced him to let install a properly configured commercial grade HP switch and his echo, latency and jitter disappeared. D-Link is a consumer grade router.

Yes!
You can not run a reliable VoIP system on home grade network gear...........period.
Authorized Avaya SMB Business Partner
www.walker-solutions.com

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
Great info guys, thanks! First we'll check the patch cords. Next step... What do you suggest for brand names/classes of switches/routers, if we have to go that far? HP, Netgear, Cisco, etc.?
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
Did a little Googling last night and came up with this. Seems like a reasonable price for a managed switch with QoS... so I can talk to the customer about upgrading without a "sticker shock" moment.

HP JE006A#ABA V1910-24G Gigabit Ethernet Switch 10/100/1000Mbps 24 x RJ45 + 4 x SFP
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833316178

Anyone have comments on this HP model, the brand or style?

I also looked at some Cisco... Wow, those get pricey quickly.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline mdaniel

• Walker Communications, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »
We use the HP Pro-curve line and have never had an issue.
Authorized Avaya SMB Business Partner
www.walker-solutions.com

Offline telemarv

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
HP Pro-Curve is the switch of choice at Mitel.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline LaneComm

• Pro Shop Member
    • Voice, Video, Unified Communication and Healthcare Solutions Ocala, Gainesville and all of Central Florida
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »
Cisco 500 Series is a great router at a very reasonable price and will easily handle most VoIP deployments. Also learning how to use Wire Shark is a must, its not plug and play.
Steve Lane, MCSE

Voice, Video, Data and Managed IT Solutions
featuring ESI, Cisco, Avaya, Ascom, Dell and Microsoft.

Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville and all of Central Florida
Licensed and Insured - ES12000683

www.CentralFloridaPhones.com
www.ESIphoneSystems.com