Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 8184 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 10:22:52 PM »
If you encrypt your data it will be almost as safe as if it were on your own servers.

Question is will those online applications allow or provide a secure form of encription. The only one I have any faith in is PGP. Call me paranoid, but what's to stop the government from requiring a secret back door to all commercial encription?

I think what it all boils down to is that any machine and/or server that is connected to the Internet is, in essence, a part of the Cloud.

But your data isn't if stored on a removable drive.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline MnDave

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
And this whole discussion is being stored on a remote PC that is where...?
 :065:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

Anywhere you like, this is a public forum! :011:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »

In my basement.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »

In my basement.

Now, you've done it.  The whole world knows now where to hack.  :002:
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
In my basement.

I just had a flash back to the 80's movie "The Burbs" with Tom Hanks.  Remember the power draw on the neighborhood and how the lights kept dimming?  :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline stevena

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
I have been skeptical of the whole cloud thing for a while. The most oldest form of the cloud is the webmail if you think about it. I believe if people use the cloud for everything it will take way their responsibility for their own data. Speaking about that, who owns the data - you or the provider? Never mind all the regs like SOX, HIPAA, etc.

But with all the disasters the whole country has faced, if someone didn't properly back up their data and they lost it, so in one way it may be a good idea.

But for me, I'd rather keep the dozen gigs of data I own to myself and keep them both on and offline and through my backup media and be responsible with it as well.

Windows 8 is basically a dumbed down OS that has the iPhone UI and the cloud type of usage. I don't like that ether. It makes the desktop more dumber.

Allegedly, XP SP3 support is supposed to end in the year 2020. That gives me less than 9 years to prepare to go to another platform. The Windows Vista/7 UI is basically just animated JPEG images for the "eye candy" and plain ol bloat all around. I hated it and I have only use it for less than a few minutes to say it sucks. But if you are a laptop user, it gives you the 4 hours a 6 cell battery is engineered for. However even the "under the hood" features makes me not willing to switch to 7.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
I have had Windows 8 DP (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516) installed on a (rarely used) laptop, that is a spare sitting around the house. I have tried to use it, as I would a normal work laptop... it is a completely foreign operation to me. The keystrokes are different, the shutdown process is different, but the boot time is wicked awesome! On a 4 year old single core processor with a 5400 HDD, it boots ALMOST as fast as my Macbook Air with a SSD and dual core i3.

However... I find it unusable for work at this point. It is going to need heavy overhaul for work related applications... matter of fact you will have to tweak it so much, that it will be like W7. I think it is aimed at the tablet crowd and able to work on any form factor. IMHO  keep them separate for now
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline matherton

• Houle
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »
To re-open an old topic...  So now that windows 8 is out and people are using it, any new feelings on it? 

I installed it on a spare laptop here (panasonic toughbook with touchscreen) just to have a look and see.  Admittedly, I haven't spent any time learning the new interface.  My initial impression is that once you learn how the new interface works, it is probable that some things might be faster with quick tiles.  Its not intuitive on things like how to shut it off.

My perception is that its built to give users a quick view of "what has changed in their social online world".  Something of limited worth to me in my business environment. 

I switched our whole office to win7 and havent looked back to xp in a long time, havent used the xp dual boot in close to a year.  I think we'll probably skip win8; my personal feelings are that win8 is what was needed right now for MS to gain some strength on the 'personal side of computing' with young people who need the instant gratification of social media, and win7 was the strong step for business. 

Marty Atherton

Was a Samsung 'expert' * Panasonic * Grandstream * Ascom TeleCareIP Nurse Call
Tunnel vision to retirement