Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 8265 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Windows 8
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
What have you heard about Windows 8.

pcworld
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline telemarv

Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
I'm still leery of moving away from XP.  :016:
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:45 AM »
I'm still leery of moving away from XP.  :016:

I agree, but support will soon be gone!  Support is only available for SP3 as it is.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
I hear you Marv.  Most of our employee locations were still using XP Pro until recently when we had to move the hardware forward.  At the largest location we went to 7 Pro 64 bit, and as much as it pains me to say it, I have to give it points for stability.  To add to stability we took away all the flashy themes etc. and locked them down to "Best Performance" mode which really gives you an XP look and feel.  We always did that with our XP workstations too, so they really didn't feel like they were missing anything.

If you ever want to play with the option, go the the start menu and RIGHT click on Computer>Properties>Advanced System Settings (If you're in 7)>Advanced Tab>Performance Settings Button>and click the radio button for Adjust For Best Performance.

We have to remote into our machines a LOT and the themes in 7 kill you on bandwidth otherwise.

As for 8, my sister's husband would be the best authority I know.  I'll ask him and get back to you.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
My main reason for starting this thread was to see if anyone has heard some of the same rumors about Windows 8 which I have. I hear Windows 8 will be more like a browser than an operating system and we will be storing data at the website of the software provider.  Quickbooks already has an option to use their software by logging into their site and not have the sofeware resident on your PC. The other thing that bothers me is sites like Carbonite. I don't want my data anywhere I don't have complete control. I got this information from the Kim Komando Show.   

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
Larry that is a BIG movement, and all the "cloud" hype is part of the propaganda.  My brother in law is head of logistics and procurement for a large hospital chain and as such deals with this daily as he negotiates all the site licenses.  With medical records you can imagine the implications.  The software programs are moving toward a model where you lease the programs or pay a monthly fee to use Office, etc. and it's all on-line.  Google already has their on-line apps, and if you go into Hotmail you'll see Microsoft Office programs on-line to use.  Our title company software vendors have been trying to push us that way for about 10 years, and I've held my ground with a "Not no, but HELL NO" response.

As for 8, I'll ask him and post back.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »
Hey Larry:

I spoke too soon.  He told me that according to their MS rep, so much is still changing that it's predominately all conjecture at this point.  I didn't realize they hadn't even released alpha yet.  Sorry. :007:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
Thanks Trace.

Has anyone gone with the online Quickbooks?

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
Thanks Trace.

Has anyone gone with the online Quickbooks?

I've thought about it a couple of times, but it seems pricey.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »
I've thought about it a couple of times, but it seems pricey.

Well price would certainly be a big concern, but how do you feel about your customer base and the whole financial picture of your company on another site?

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
Well price would certainly be a big concern, but how do you feel about your customer base and the whole financial picture of your company on another site?

I guess that doesn't concern me too much.  Heck, I use Intuit's "TurboTax Online" service. Nowadays our whole lives are on someone else's computers whether we like it or not. :002:

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
That's very tru Larry, BUT...

QuickBooks is extremely easy to crack the password.  Don't believe me?  Google Quickbooks password crack.  I did it in under 5 minutes.

Bad enough when the PC's are here in the office where they could be stolen, but at least I would know about it at the time.
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
I guess that doesn't concern me too much.  Heck, I use Intuit's "TurboTax Online" service.

Peoples tax returns are pretty much public knowledge anyway. I would be very concerned about my business records, correspondence and any other private information getting into the wrong hands because of off site bookkeeping, word processing, spreadsheats and other applications. Then of course there are medical records. This is got to be some kind of joke. Businesses spend millions on security to protect the data contained on their machines and servers. What kind of idiot would allow their sensitive information to be kept who knows where and not under their control? How many times has credit card account numbers and other personal information wound up in the wrong hands lately?

I'll tell you who is behind this. The government.

-Hal   
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
I'll tell you who is behind this. The government.

I agree with you Hal. And it will be some Government idiot who takes everything home on a notbook PC that gets compromised. I do not use online software and I do not use online backup services. I don't even have my data on the "C" drive. I use an external hard drive that does not stay with the PC.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
From what I have seen of Windows 8 I don't think it is going to be anything we want to touch at work or on my own machines. In my opinion it is too "Dumbed down" to be of any use.

What works great on my Droid is not what I want on my laptop or desktop and that is pretty much what 8 reminds me of. I think MS has forgotten that not every user is a newbie.

As for the "Cloud"... I have mixed emotions but it doesn't scare me like it used to. If you encrypt your data it will be almost as safe as if it were on your own servers. But then again, at work, we do NOT store certain records on their servers.

If you get down to it, is your data any safer on your own servers that are connected to the Internet or are they just as safe on on-line servers. I guess it all depends on how well you secure it regardless of where it resides.

I think what it all boils down to is that any machine and/or server that is connected to the Internet is, in essence, a part of the Cloud.  

I almost forgot to say, The Coud is a different way of saying the Internet.  :011:

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 10:22:52 PM »
If you encrypt your data it will be almost as safe as if it were on your own servers.

Question is will those online applications allow or provide a secure form of encription. The only one I have any faith in is PGP. Call me paranoid, but what's to stop the government from requiring a secret back door to all commercial encription?

I think what it all boils down to is that any machine and/or server that is connected to the Internet is, in essence, a part of the Cloud.

But your data isn't if stored on a removable drive.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline MnDave

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
And this whole discussion is being stored on a remote PC that is where...?
 :065:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

Anywhere you like, this is a public forum! :011:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 07:12:41 PM »

In my basement.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »

In my basement.

Now, you've done it.  The whole world knows now where to hack.  :002:
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 09:27:31 PM »
In my basement.

I just had a flash back to the 80's movie "The Burbs" with Tom Hanks.  Remember the power draw on the neighborhood and how the lights kept dimming?  :011:

Offline stevena

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
I have been skeptical of the whole cloud thing for a while. The most oldest form of the cloud is the webmail if you think about it. I believe if people use the cloud for everything it will take way their responsibility for their own data. Speaking about that, who owns the data - you or the provider? Never mind all the regs like SOX, HIPAA, etc.

But with all the disasters the whole country has faced, if someone didn't properly back up their data and they lost it, so in one way it may be a good idea.

But for me, I'd rather keep the dozen gigs of data I own to myself and keep them both on and offline and through my backup media and be responsible with it as well.

Windows 8 is basically a dumbed down OS that has the iPhone UI and the cloud type of usage. I don't like that ether. It makes the desktop more dumber.

Allegedly, XP SP3 support is supposed to end in the year 2020. That gives me less than 9 years to prepare to go to another platform. The Windows Vista/7 UI is basically just animated JPEG images for the "eye candy" and plain ol bloat all around. I hated it and I have only use it for less than a few minutes to say it sucks. But if you are a laptop user, it gives you the 4 hours a 6 cell battery is engineered for. However even the "under the hood" features makes me not willing to switch to 7.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
I have had Windows 8 DP (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516) installed on a (rarely used) laptop, that is a spare sitting around the house. I have tried to use it, as I would a normal work laptop... it is a completely foreign operation to me. The keystrokes are different, the shutdown process is different, but the boot time is wicked awesome! On a 4 year old single core processor with a 5400 HDD, it boots ALMOST as fast as my Macbook Air with a SSD and dual core i3.

However... I find it unusable for work at this point. It is going to need heavy overhaul for work related applications... matter of fact you will have to tweak it so much, that it will be like W7. I think it is aimed at the tablet crowd and able to work on any form factor. IMHO  keep them separate for now
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline matherton

• Houle
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »
To re-open an old topic...  So now that windows 8 is out and people are using it, any new feelings on it? 

I installed it on a spare laptop here (panasonic toughbook with touchscreen) just to have a look and see.  Admittedly, I haven't spent any time learning the new interface.  My initial impression is that once you learn how the new interface works, it is probable that some things might be faster with quick tiles.  Its not intuitive on things like how to shut it off.

My perception is that its built to give users a quick view of "what has changed in their social online world".  Something of limited worth to me in my business environment. 

I switched our whole office to win7 and havent looked back to xp in a long time, havent used the xp dual boot in close to a year.  I think we'll probably skip win8; my personal feelings are that win8 is what was needed right now for MS to gain some strength on the 'personal side of computing' with young people who need the instant gratification of social media, and win7 was the strong step for business. 

Marty Atherton

Was a Samsung 'expert' * Panasonic * Grandstream * Ascom TeleCareIP Nurse Call
Tunnel vision to retirement