Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Q-Books Pro 2001  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Markk

• Administrator
Q-Books Pro 2001
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
I have been using this since, well, 2001  :003: today I pulled out the original CD of the software and loaded it on a laptop,  it didn't like that it couldn't install the IE 5.5 software but it loaded ok. Then I took my back up of the same 2001 from my desktop and tried to restore it to the laptop ( I'm preparing for some downtime on my office PC) on the laptop it says that it can't restore because the file is from a newer version of QB. But it's not. Only thing I can think is that the early updates to QB 2001 on my desk top from when they still supported that old version, must look new to the original software. Any ideas anyone?

If I have to update to a new QB's can I go directly from 2001 to the latest or do I need to do something else to save my current files?  Or maybe I need to start over. This PC and hard drive is 10 years old, I'm getting nervious, maybe I should just have the HD cloned? Suggestions appreciated.

Mark
Reliable Telephone Service

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Q-Books Pro 2001
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
I've never had a problem updating to the most recent version.  Sometimes you lose some custom settings, but I haven't seen that since Ver. 5.

Unfortunately you can apparently only download QB versions back to 2005:  http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/INF12417

I was hoping you could download 2001 with all the updates.  I'd try updating the program if it'll let you, but QB is pretty Nazi about "End of Life."  If you don't have your registration key written down, they won't even generate a new one for you.  That's why we disconnect the machines from the network during installation to force the screen to come up allowing you to call the 800# to get a key.  Then we write it down for future use.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »
Mark, I had the same problem with a newer version. There support told me I had to install the updates before my backup would work. I don't know how you will ever get the updates to QB2001

QB is pretty Nazi about "End of Life."  If you don't have your registration key written down, they won't even generate a new one for you. 

Trace is spot on with that.

It's worse if you have the payroll option. I have to install QB-pro2011 before May 30 or loose payroll support.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »
I would kill the internet connection on the machine you are installing the software.
That will prevent it from searching for any updates.

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »

Mac,
They no longer provide updates for 2001, they haven't since 2006. I have the numbers but it doesn't matter, they are now Intuit, not even the same software company as the old 2001 QB. I guess to preserve these files I should clone this HD for preserving the data then start over with a new version of QB. Does that make sense? I suppose I could have two HD's in a new PC and boot to which ever I needed right?

Tx. I don't think it even tried to get updates when I loaded it. And the 800's numbers aren't even the same from the original booklet and CD.

Larry, do you have a later version that could upgrade to from 2001 that maybe the restore files would work from? I wonder if people sell old versions on ebay?

Mark

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Mark

I think I may have QB-pro2005 with all the install codes. If I do you can have it.

I don't think the software is "looking" for updates. The problem is your backup "requires" the updates because it was made with them installed.

Moving to a newer version should take care of it.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »

Thanks, and later today when I get back I'll check ebay.

Online NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
It's worse if you have the payroll option. I have to install QB-pro2011 before May 30 or loose payroll support.

Yepper, just had to do that this weekend.  Otherwise, no payroll and no credit cards.

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
There are quite a few QB's on ebay. Does anyone know what year I can upgrade to from 2001 without big problems? The oldest on ebay is 2006.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Mark, I no longer have the QB-PRO-2005 version I mentioned earlier. I'm not sure about the upgrade process and how far back it will work.  How much do they want for the 2006 version?  It might be worth trying. 

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Right now it's at 28 bucks - and 2011 pro is at 128 so if 06 won't work I'd go for 11 and start over. I still like to know the progression needed to upgrade, there must be a matrix somewhere.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
The QB website states you can't cross product lines like pro to simple start or the other way around. It also mentions it will change your backup to be compatible and you can't go backwards, so make two backups.  It also mentions the backup file is in a different place for all pro versions before 2007.  It leads me to believe you can go from 2001 to 2011 if you want. There will be no support from 2008 and older.   

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
I've only ever used pro so that's not an issue. I would like to hear from someone who has moved on from 2001. I really don't need anything new from what I have, I just want to preserve my current file. Maybe there's a better place to post my question. Some puter forum or something. If I don't get the information I want I'll just buy the cheapest updated version I can find for a start. Thanks Larry.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
If you did an actual backup, just install the newest version of QB and then import the backup. It will create the needed directory structure. It's fairly straight forward and you won't loose any data, but always have a backup of the backup.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline Markk

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
I do have 2 back ups. So you think whatever version I purchase newer then my 01 version will work? right up to 2011?

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »
So you think whatever version I purchase newer then my 01 version will work? right up to 2011?

Yep! :003:

Everything I've read says it will.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
I do have 2 back ups. So you think whatever version I purchase newer then my 01 version will work? right up to 2011?

Yes... there shouldn't be any problems. The newer version will upgrade your backup when you use the import feature to restore the data.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring