Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New PC W-7 ?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Markk

• Administrator
New PC W-7 ?
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:50:06 AM »
I'm due for a new desk PC, how is windows 7 working out? I've heard something about it not allowing any non Microsoft or pirated software to be loaded on it. Also, how is it working with system programming software like PCDBA and Keylink? Before I pull the trigger I would appreciate any thoughts or insight you guys have.
Reliable Telephone Service

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: New PC W-7 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
I haven't started with it yet either, but I did read where you need to get the "professional" level to run in the XP mode for certain software. I've also heard where the 64 bit version has caused some problems with phone software. My plan is to get Windows Seven Professional 32 bit version.  
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline MooreTel

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
I may be upgrading by getting a new laptop later this summer if business picks up.  I'll either get it with Windows 7, or take whatever is on it and get my PC Guru to installed XP Pro.

I'd like to get some feedback as well before I do anything.  I do know that Vista is not even breathing on it one way or another, especially since Intuit wasn't even capable in getting Quickbooks to work on it properly the last I knew.
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »
Windows 7 is great and the same goes for Server 2008. No problems with any software. Unless you are getting a server, I would not recommend a 64 bit OS.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
Personally, I like Windows 7 for the most part. I don't like the way they changed things so much I have to hunt and hunt for what I'm looking for in "Control Panel" but I have learned you can use the search bar under the "Start" button to locate what you are looking for quickly.

Example: If I want to allow remote desktop connections on my machine all I do is open the search bar, type "Remote" and I will see multiple options to choose from.
It works for many things.

Software compatability is a problem I've ran into a few times but if you go with Windows 7 Pro, or above you can always use Virtual XP as long as your machine supports virtual machines.

Offline matherton

• Houle
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:47:17 AM »
I know this post is aging a little, but I think its still a valid question.

My office laptop has W7 64bit on it, and at first I had some trouble with software like DESI which was only 32 bit at the time.  A lot of software is now compatible, and I'm able to use hyperterminal, Samsung Installation Tool, even the old Samsung OfficeServ Manager works fine.  The one program I had difficulty with was Nortel NRU11.  It would not install on 64bit at all.  The fix (which worked) was to install the free Windows Virtual PC which boots a full version of XP Pro in a window, and had NO problem running DESI and NRU11, allowing me to fully program my old norstar customers.  

My work laptop has a dual boot windows 7 64bit and XP Pro 32bit on it.  I still boot to XP for the most part - because I have not yet made the time to migrate all the software and settings over to the 7 side.  I will likely keep the xp pro as a boot option for the 2 stragglers I have on NRU, but once they are gone, so is XP...

I'm not sure about other vendor phoneman software and 64bit but the Samsung PBX administration software works fine on W7-64, and you can always use Virtual PC.
Marty Atherton

Was a Samsung 'expert' * Panasonic * Grandstream * Ascom TeleCareIP Nurse Call
Tunnel vision to retirement

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Marty, thanks for the update.

As far as the Windows Virtual PC which boots a full version of XP Pro in a window, did you get that from windows update?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline matherton

• Houle
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 12:05:06 AM »
I downloaded it directly from windows

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

works pretty slick...
Marty Atherton

Was a Samsung 'expert' * Panasonic * Grandstream * Ascom TeleCareIP Nurse Call
Tunnel vision to retirement

Offline EV607797

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
I have 7 on my netbook and I like it for the most part.  I haven't had any issues so far.

I sure would like to get some adult supervision on remote desktop access that Bobby mentioned.  I'm currently paying $22 per month for "GoToMyPC". 

Yes, yes, yes.....  I'm very computer illiterate.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »
I sure would like to get some adult supervision on remote desktop access that Bobby mentioned.  I'm currently paying $22 per month for "GoToMyPC". 

LogMeIn Free: https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

Offline EV607797

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:48:48 PM »
Amazing, simply amazing.  I can't believe the wealth of resources that I've discovered through you guys.  I also can't believe that I've been paying $22 per month for at least six years for GoToMyPC.  Wow, just wow.

Thanks, Larry (and everyone else).
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline anthonyh

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »
Larry nailed ir...log me in is awsome, iphone and Ipad app is great as well
...Please don't touch that