Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peachtree Accounting Software question  (Read 2650 times)

Offline EV607797

Peachtree Accounting Software question
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
We are running a fairly old version of Peachtree accounting software and have not upgraded for a variety of reasons. The primary reason being that we don't have anyone on staff who is smart enough to do it, but that's another subject.

Our accountant has requested a database backup, which we have obtained and provided, but he said that the file format isn't compatible with the 2011 version that he's using.

He has requested that we figure out how to extract all of the data in '.PTB' file format. He said that we might be able to extract them in a '.QB' format that will also work with PT2011. Does anyone here know enough about this to offer a helping hand?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Peachtree Accounting Software question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Just how old is your Peachtree? What version or release? This is probably a question you need to ask Peachtree.

Maybe not what you want to hear- I was using a very old version from the win 3.1 days up until the beginning of last year. I got tired of having to maintain an old win 98 machine just for that. There was never an accounting problem though, I would just print out the General Ledger for the year, massage the "raw data" and enter it manually onto a "boiler plate" Excel spread sheet summary report of all expenses and income then give both the ledger printout and Excel summary to my accountant. No, there was no way to export anything in any useful format.

Starting the beginning of last year I went to Quick Books Pro. I was very reluctant because I thought it would be a big PITA but I found that my knowledge gained from setting up and using the old Peachtree was not much different than what I needed to set up the company in Quickbooks. Matter of fact Quickbooks is simpler and more intuitive. No more closing the books for the year and it takes care of sales taxes. I don't need it to generate invoices or other forms (didn't with Peachtree) so that made it even easier.

What I would recommend is that now is a good time to upgrade. Your accountant should be able to set it up for you if you can't for a small fee.

-Hal  
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »
Before I went to Quickbooks-Pro I had a similar problem.  I believe what Hal said about printing a General Ledger is the only answer.   
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hitechcomm

• HIZER Communicatins
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »
QB Pro seems to be a very popular accounting package. We have used it for several years. Very happy with it. It may be time to change.