Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Not To Install Cabling (Pictures Of Ugly Work)  (Read 97437 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: How Not To Install Cabling (Pictures Of Ugly Work)
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »
This was an assisted living site who decided they would do their own moves, adds and changes to save on costs.

They started using 2 pair wire and wire nuts!!!!   :011:

Their maintenance man purchased a 110 punch tool and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work so he would cut the old jumpers off and leave a few inches still punched down and attached his new wire with wire nuts!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2013, 05:37:58 PM »
^^ :011: :011: ^^

So much for SAVING money! 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
Re:
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »
Think I just threw up a little…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2013, 10:45:02 PM »
But how did he know what clips and jumpers?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 05:44:10 AM »
But how did he know what clips and jumpers?

-Hal

He also had a toner and would tone two rooms back to the phone room, then cut the jumpers and swap to connections with his 2 pair wire. When he had to swap 3 phones/rooms he got confused, messed up, then called me.  He had no idea what those blocks represented or how to count them. :011:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »
Wow, just wow...both the pics Tony posted and the pic from Larry.
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
I wish I was allowed to take pictures of the things I routinely come across. Most of you guys would be like Jeff... wow, just wow.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2013, 08:38:39 AM »
Here's a good run down of some sloppy work. Interesting responses. LOL

http://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/real-world-server-room-nightmares/1/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline silversam

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »
The sad thing is, that many of these installations looked like they were immaculate - when they were first installed.

It appears that after the customer or the lowest price bidder got finished with the add-ons, moves and changes that they all went to hell.

Sam

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
That's the way I see it too Sam!   :066:

I don't see anyone interested in learning all the tricks/techniques of wiring handed down from Bell/Western Electric. Pride in workmanship is all but gone except for a few.  The sad part is installers today have better tools available to them.  I say available because I never see any of them use these tools.  No one mounts equipment on the walls anymore, they sit it on the floor, on the box in which it was delivered. Forget making custom cables today, just open the packaged cables and let the slack sit all over the room.  

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »
Seems that the new philosophy is that as long as it works it's a job well done. Nobody cares how it was done "in the old days" because they have no idea how to do it nor do they want to know. It's like wiring a room addition up with zip cord. It works and it's cheap is all that counts. Why waste time and money on extra tools and material and learning how to do it?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline silversam

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »
That's the way I see it too Sam!   :066:

I don't see anyone interested in learning all the tricks/techniques of wiring handed down from Bell/Western Electric.

About 10 years ago I ran the voice & data (wiring) end of a job my company got. It was a renovation of a catering hall (2 floors) that was being converted to offices for NYC Department of Education. The job was about 250 runs of (each) v & d. The PBX was being installed by a 3rd party. (we were also doing the electrical work).

I won't get into the work done by the PBX company, except to say that there were only two people on the crew who spoke English and the work was some of the worst I'd ever seen. After seeing the work done by these clowns I can't imagine how a "real" company can compete. But that's the subject of another discussion.

What I'd like to speak of is the spec I was doing the job to, especially the building out of the Comm Room (MC).

The spec said that all work had to be done to "Bell System Standards". Now Hugh O'Kane Electric (who I worked for), did a tremendous amount of work for both Verizon and the CLECs and we knew what "Bell System Standards" meant, so we did the job to those specs. Nothing smaller then ⅝" hardware supporting the racks and cable tray, cloth covered green wire ground ( either 1/0 or 2/0, I forget...). Power cable laced. Fiber laced with fish paper, all penetrations fire stopped, etc, etc.

And when the guy who wrote the specs into the contract, showed up on the job, he said.......

Wait for it......

"Wow! This is gorgeous! Is this what Bell System Specs means? I never knew. No one ever did a job like this for us before."

I knew then it was time to retire.

Sam

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »

"Wow! This is gorgeous! Is this what Bell System Specs means? I never knew. No one ever did a job like this for us before."

I knew then it was time to retire.

Sam

Yeah... that's the point where you just throw your hands up, drop tools and walk the heck out. A statement like that would be a show stopper.
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
In the 'wtf were they thinking' category, I present the following:

This is a brand new install in a 3000sf remodeled office, they moved in last Wednesday. Sigh...
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
just sad. when there are installers/companies who take the time, know what they're doing and have proper workmanship in mind form day one... then you see this. the sad thing is, someone who does it right, and does it once will probably be contracted to clean this mess up at some point. penny wise and dollar foolish
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com