Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Not To Install Cabling (Pictures Of Ugly Work)  (Read 95561 times)

Offline liquidvw

Re: How Not To Install Cabling (Pictures Of Ugly Work)
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2015, 07:44:02 AM »
https://plus.google.com/+JaredNaude/posts/WxRVWeo8GD9

This was surprising. Good to see every once in a while :)
Still would've used Velcro with my team... but super nice to look at none the less.

That looks real nice. 

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »
Here are a few pics I took today on a fiber job I did for a new service. I had to run a new fiber from the NID into the customer's equipment room. This was my first chance to use the new EzBend Fiber and it's pretty cool stuff. No need for innerduct and this stuff can handle really tight bends.

Of course there was no room on the backboard, so I had to mount everything on the wall. Me being me - I had to use a level for everything and everything got a zip-tie.

Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline silversam

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
Nice work!

Sam

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »
Excellent!   :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
Do you really think that small bit of exposed fiber going into the wall is going to last?
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »
Do you really think that small bit of exposed fiber going into the wall is going to last?

It's EzBend Fiber... so unless someone actually cuts the fiber it should last a long time.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »
Okay... I don't get to do many installations anymore, so I've got to share this one too.

The electrician gave me a compliment on my workmanship and we joked about the local CLEC and cable company. The local CLEC is notorious for techs that mount 66 blocks sideways.

This was another fiber installation and since it's deregulated work it comes to my group. We install everything past the fiber patch panel. Because we needed 11 lines for the initial order, I installed two 8 port ONTs with battery backups.

I had my big level out to draw lines on the backboard when the electrician gave me the compliments.

NOTE: Click image for full-size photo.

Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
 :045: :045:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline ptcaezza

• Technician
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2015, 11:57:56 PM »
Okay, I can't help myself on this one.

So all of you phone guys and gals need your backboard labeled so you know where the phones go.  :011:  :022:
Patrick T. Caezza
Caezza Technical Services
C-7 Lic# 992448

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:44 AM »
So all of you phone guys and gals need your backboard labeled so you know where the phones go

It's called pride in your work!  It helps when a customer calls and you ask them to look at something. It also helps anyone who may come in after you to work on the system.

Most chronic problems/failures seem to be related to sites where everything is a mess because everyone is poking around trying to figure out what is what!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
So all of you phone guys and gals need your backboard labeled so you know where the phones go

It's called pride in your work!  It also helps when a customer calls and you ask them to look at something. I also helps anyone who may come in after you to work on the system.

Most chronic problems/failures seem to be related to sites where everything is a mess because everyone is poking around trying to figure out what is what!

It also helps prevent some idiot from the cable company coming in and placing his stuff right in the middle of everything. I can't tell you how many times the first guy in puts his stuff right in the middle and screws up the board for everyone else.

This was also a big box store, so they have the same layout at every location. In fact the electrical room this is in is actually a big container that get's lowered into place on site.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »
It also helps prevent some idiot from the cable company coming in and placing his stuff right in the middle of everything. I can't tell you how many times the first guy in puts his stuff right in the middle and screws up the board for everyone else.

Right!.........I believe these guys draw an "X" on the board to find the middle!

I also mark the board for expansion equipment and LABEL as such!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »
Our locations have a HUGE notification and arrow addressing the CLEC by NAME and then stating "THIS IS YOUR DEMARC."
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
So all of you phone guys and gals need your backboard labeled so you know where the phones go...

I've gone so far as to mark power strips "TELECOM ONLY. Plug your IT stuff in somewhere else!!" Those bastards even steal our UPSs because their IT crap is apparently more important.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
So all of you phone guys and gals need your backboard labeled so you know where the phones go...

I've gone so far as to mark power strips "TELECOM ONLY. Plug your IT stuff in somewhere else!!" Those bastards even steal our UPSs because their IT crap is apparently more important.

-Hal

I kid you not - we had a client unplug the VoIP switch from a battery backup unit (clearly labeled with our company logo and "call repair before plugging in anything"... you know what they unplugged it for? So they had somewhere to plug in their popcorn machine!!!! They had an open house, and staged the popcorn machine at the edge of the communications closet. Saturday at 10am we get the notification it went offline, and assumed that it was a regular carrier weekend update. End users never, I say never cease to amaze me. I learn something new all the time :D
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com