Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Not To Install Cabling (Pictures Of Ugly Work)  (Read 97444 times)

Offline silversam

Re: How Not To Install Cabling (Pictures Of Ugly Work)
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:43 PM »
Dear God!

I remember back in the day when 66 blocks were fairly new, some of the old timers who didn't get out much thought they were close enough to the old solder frames and would solder the wires. But that's got to be close to 50 years ago!

Sam

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2016, 06:30:27 PM »
Dear God!

I remember back in the day when 66 blocks were fairly new, some of the old timers who didn't get out much thought they were close enough to the old solder frames and would solder the wires. But that's got to be close to 50 years ago!

Sam

Yeah, but I bet at least they knew how to solder.  :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline jknichols

• Technician
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2016, 08:13:17 AM »
Not even a good soldering job either. What the hell did he do to the middle of those other bridging clips, burn them with acid?

What's with the mess at the top left?

-Hal

Acid Flux Solder?

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
Acid Flux Solder?

Must have been a teleplumber.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Rcaman

• Americom, Inc.
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
Unfortunately, this happens. I have seen this here in western PA. "Teleplumber" is a good one, Hal. The old lead splicers used to think all problems could be solved with hot lead. At least, give those plumbers some credit for keeping the pairs.

At a large shopping mall very close to our shop, the main frame is all solder connections. If you think this solder job is bad, you should see how people who know NOTHING about solder try and make connections to a solder terminal. It is truly abysmal. I had the job of bringing 8 POTS lines and one ISDN to a store during Verizon's strike. Just finding enough clean pairs was an all day job. It took me more time to clean off the wretched old solder than it took to make the new connections. One of my best tools for jobs like this is a solder sucker. Too bad the people that botched up that 66 block didn't ASK for help.

Rcaman
Where The Art And Science of Communications Meet

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2016, 11:55:51 AM »
I've got a radio station around here and the old time engineer soldered a bunch of bridge clips with resistors to eliminate a problem he was having. He used two bridge clips for each resistor. He actually did a really good job. I'll get some pics the next time I'm on-site.
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring

Offline jknichols

• Technician
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:35 AM »
I've got a radio station around here and the old time engineer soldered a bunch of bridge clips with resistors to eliminate a problem he was having. He used two bridge clips for each resistor. He actually did a really good job. I'll get some pics the next time I'm on-site.
Well, If you've really got to solder, I'd rather see it on the bridge clip (which can be thrown away at the next change) and not the block itself.

Online jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2016, 04:17:15 PM »
I remember seeing a field-made ground bar in our college radio station. All of the 22 gauge wire was punched to blocks, but the shields were soldered to a piece of #6 copper.
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com

Offline silversam

« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
Jeff, back in the day (early '70s) we installed a telephone system called the TR-32 (made by Tele-Resources). They bought Stromberg-Carlson phones  (Single Line and 1A2) without either the network or the ringer. Then they installed their own guts. SL sets took a piece of quad nd the 1A2, 25 pair.

The system was, As I recall, a wired logic PBX. The 1A2 sets needed E1, G1, & H1. E1 was...I think 10 Volts (for the lamps) H1 was.....I think 5 volts DC for the logic board in the set and G1 was Ground. We would set up 66m1-25 blocks on the backboard for these three voltages. E1 & H1 came out of the PBX. For G1 we ran a #12 to a cold water pipe and forced it onto the feed side of the M1-25 block and then soldered it in place.

I don't think I've thought of that system in 40 years. They went out of business owing me money.  :002:

Sam