Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Phone Manager Pro no longer connects to IP OFFICE. Has to do with Vlans.  (Read 2270 times)

Offline tmsiguy

• Technician
I have an IPO 412 4.2, PMP worked fine until the Outsourced IT Department locked down the switches and segregated the PC users on a different VLAN than the IPO and VMPRO PC. 

Clearly the network is not allowing the communications between IPO and the desktop users PMP.

As the AVAYA guy, but not having programming access to the network, I am trying to have some ammo to talk to the IT guys with.  They have no concept of the phone system.   so I am thinking that if I could tell them the ports to open/forward and perhaps a static route between VLANS that may work.

I was also thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could place LAN2 connection of the IPO on a static IP address on the same VLAN/subnet as the users and that might work.

Can you give me some insight as to what the ports are that PMP uses for call control etc...

Also what do you think about my LAN2 idea?

Thanks in advance.

Offline mongo5150

• Just-Sayin...
Re: Phone Manager Pro no longer connects to IP OFFICE. Has to do with Vlans.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »
Yes, the LAN 2 idea would work.  This is a standard solution as some companies use lots of phone manager pro with Vlans.

Phone manager pro uses Multicast to send BLF updates to teh phones.  If the updates have to traverse to a different subnet, they are no longer using multicast, but instead unicast.  Because its unicast, there is a limit of how many unicast messages can be sent (ten)  So, lets say you have 50 instances of phone manager pro, the first 10 will be accurate.  But eh following updates will get lost, and cause PM to not be accurate.

You might be able to create a route in IP Routes.  This would allow access from the other subnet, but will have the BLF limits as stated earlier.
ACSS - SMEC
APSS - IP Office