Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fiber--Cable tracing  (Read 6448 times)

Offline JWRacedog

Fiber--Cable tracing
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
For many years now, we have traced fiber optic cables mainly by just looking.  Usually the cables are going to different locations and it's rather easy to tell them apart.

We have a new customer that has 20-25 fiber optic cables--all ending up in one room.  At first glance, it's a mess.  We have two empty, unused strands that we can use in our end location, but tomorrow we have to trace that cable to the room with the 25 or so cables. 

We've always used a fiber continuity light on one end and never had a real problem finding it, but we're sort of intimidated by the bulk of cables that we'll be looking at.  In a nutshell--does anybody have any ideas that we can use to quickly (relatively speaking) find the cable that we want?

Maybe I'm worried over nothing.  It could be that we'll find it right away.

Retired Now

Offline BobRobert

• Technician
Re: Fiber--Cable tracing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
Two men, 2-way radios, and a flashlight.  One person on the far end looking and one person on the near end with the flashlight.  You should be able to light up all 25 strands with the flashlight in no time narrowing it down to the two you are looking for.  Test with a light meter and you are done.
That's the way I would do it.

Online silversam

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »
They do make fiber identifiers (most of the OTDRs I worked with sent 'tone') but I think you'll do fine with a maglite - assuming the cable are termed. You could also use a power meter......

Sam

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
Thanks Bob & Sam.  I feel better all ready. :003:
Retired Now

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
I didn't even go.  Sent Dave & Joe with our handy-dandy continuity tester light---and that was enough.  They found the cable right away, even though it was plugged into a fiber optic switch.  They did some testing with media converters.

They were in and out of there in an hour.  Thanks for the support.
Retired Now

Offline P. Bottoms

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »
Two men, 2-way radios, and a flashlight.  One person on the far end looking and one person on the near end with the flashlight.  You should be able to light up all 25 strands with the flashlight in no time narrowing it down to the two you are looking for.  Test with a light meter and you are done.
That's the way I would do it.

It did work for you but why it didn't work for me. i will try this one more time...

Offline KLD

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
 :011:  Oh, yes, it works unless the cable is damaged and not passing light.  "HINT! HINT!"  Use an LED Light (red is best). :066:
Ken passed away on November 9, 2016, and will always be remembered.
Thank you, Ken for all your years of being a moderator, member, inspiration, and friend to all.

Anyone who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of them; better take a closer look at the American Indian. Henry Ford

Ken

Offline Kumba

• ViciDial Group
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »
I had to trace some cables in a bunch of fiber bundles running to the core in the data center. The mag lite wasn't cutting it for whatever reason. Ended up going to staples and picking up one of those high-powered laser pointers. That sure lit it up quick. Turned out the cable was damaged. A flashlight worked great on the other cables though.

And that's my limited experience with fiber.
ViciDial Consulting for Call Centers - I'm one of those Evil Asterisk/VoIP Guys. MBSWWYIPPBX

Offline djhacker

• Mr Telco
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »
Yes, for tracing fibre optics you'll need a red light tester or otherwise known as a visual fault inspector. Usually you can set them to hard on/pulse or off as settings, they run at usually 650nm for your average visual fault inspector and measurement distance is usally 5km, however you can get them that go alot further around 20km.

Mr Telco - Phone line installations & Data Networks. Downunder Australia!