Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Losing DNS server connection  (Read 531 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline EV607797

  • Moderator
  • Location: Fayetteville, NC
  • Posts: 954
Losing DNS server connection
« on: July 18, 2021, 12:15:05 AM »
I have one device, a laptop using Windows 10, that just started losing DNS server connection.  All other devices in the home work just fine.  I did a hard power reset of the modem (battery removed) and nothing changed.  I just chalked it up as a cable provider issue, which is quite common around here.  Today, after about 24 hours, I went into the router and reset it that way.  It worked and I got internet access on this laptop long enough to last about one session.  It is now gone again and I'm using a tethered connection to my cell.

My laptop shows that I'm connected to network, but with no internet access.  This is via wired or WiFi access. Because all of my other devices (about 17 of them) all seem to function just fine, I'm pretty sure that it's something in this laptop.  I will shamefully admit that it is still receiving automatic updates.  Each time that I shut it down, I go through the dreaded 'Windows update' procedure.  At this point, I believe it's the only computer that I have doing this and I'll be sure to fix it.

Because I have NO problem connecting to my LAN, or to the internet via my cell's hotspot feature, I'm pretty sure that my laptop has become yet another victim of Windows.  I mentioned earlier that I also lost spell check after an update.  Could this be that they are just trying to speed along the demise of W10?  It's just strange that it works fine on my hotspot, yet is dead in the water when connected via wired or wireless LAN.

Any suggestions?
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline EV607797

  • Moderator
  • Location: Fayetteville, NC
  • Posts: 954
Re: Losing DNS server connection
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 02:26:22 AM »
Upon further research, I found that most of my other IP devices were associated with fixed IP addresses, rather than URLs.  Maybe that's why this laptop, the only device using Windows and URLs, was having trouble.  It appears as if was a DNS server issue.  I changed my DNS server's IP in this device's adapter settings to 1.1.1.1 and it works fine now.  I'm still stumped as to why this happened, but it always seems that something goes awry after a Windows update.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com