Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Continues  (Read 511 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
COVID-19 Continues
« on: September 05, 2020, 09:01:42 AM »
I had our regular conversation with my Kentucky cousin yesterday.  She informed me about the passing this week of her 66 year-old sister-in-law.  Several weeks ago, this woman was being treated for bronchitis which turned out to be COVID-19 after testing was completed.  Her husband also tested positive.   The husband only required home quarantine while the wife was put on a ventilator. I planned a vacation at Virginia's Eastern Shore this comming week, but will cancel it this AM.  I heard on the news, just a short time ago, Virginia's Eastern Shore appears to be a destination for many tourists next week.  :002:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: COVID-19 Continues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »
Sorry to hear Larry.

Yes, people are still dying though in not nearly the numbers we used to have. People have been led to believe by our idiot politicians and the media that masks are a magic shield. Don't be stupid. Stay away from crowds and indoor places where people congregate like stores, restaurants and bars regardless of how many people are in there. Masks do next to nothing.

I think you did the right thing by cancelling your vacation. There's always next year.

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 11:51:14 AM »

I think you did the right thing by cancelling your vacation. There's always next year.

Agreed.  So sorry, Larry.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online telemarv

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
Sorry for you loss Larry.

Stay away from areas where snowflakes and millennial congregate.

Hal, I totally disagree with your statement. Canada has the numbers to prove masks work.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:42:04 PM »
Marv, there is no scientific evidence to prove masks do anything. And nobody is going to put a bunch of people with covid in a room with a bunch of healthy people, some wearing masks and others not wearing masks to find out! Want to put your mask on and volunteer Marv?

It's not masks, (or the lack of) it's peoples stupidity that causes the spread. Would you sit at a bar next to someone who had a bad cold? Then why the hell are you in a bar (or room or party) with lots of people who could be infected with far worse? Look at the numbers here and see where and how the spikes occurred. Don't just say that the numbers prove something.

We have someone who is running for president who declared that if he wins he will mandate that everybody has to wear a mask. Then he went on to say that if everybody wears a mask for three months the virus will go away.

That's the mentality that mask wearers have on their side and an example of the idiot politicians that this crap is coming from.

Across the street from me live two doctors, husband and wife, both OBGYNs. I've yet to see either with a mask, matter of fact their 3 year old runs over to play with our dog whenever I walk her. They apparently know something about building immunity.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline Skip555

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
I'm truly sorry for your loss Larry, I think you are wise to cancel travel plans at this point.

my grandson is 5 and I go to California every Christmas I was talking to my Son and I'm not comfortable flying at this point.  Maybe Springtime 

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online telemarv

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 12:26:55 PM »
Hal, the numbers don't lie. I live in city of 1 million with 99% compliance of mask wearing, our infection rate averages 25/day and those are mostly in long term care facilities or travelers. Comparable sized cities in the USA can't say that.

Would i sit in a bar next to someone with the flu? Yes if he/she and I were wearing a mask. Masks don't stop me from inhaling a virus, but they do reduce the exhalation of them and therefore by extension help reduce the spread. Your theory would mean a surgeon doesn't need to wear one in an operating room.

Your OBGYNs across the street are not immunologist and you'll never get a 3 year old to keep a mask on.

You can go on believing the junk science from your politicians. I will trust the science from the medical experts in my country. Mandatory mask wearing seems to be slowing the spread here.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
Hal, the numbers don't lie. I live in city of 1 million with 99% compliance of mask wearing, our infection rate averages 25/day and those are mostly in long term care facilities or travelers.

Wow.  In Dallas it's a big thing to get below 1,000 for the day.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
Hal, the numbers don't lie. I live in city of 1 million with 99% compliance of mask wearing, our infection rate averages 25/day and those are mostly in long term care facilities or travelers. Comparable sized cities in the USA can't say that.

I don't see you doing anything different as far as masks go than where I am or even Dallas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/mandatory-masks-coming-no-date-1.5636317

As of Sept. 7 IN ALL OF NEW YORK we had 557 new cases. And those aren't necessarily cases that show symptoms, they could have only tested positive. (See how numbers can be misleading?)

The only place people wear masks is in stores because the stores require it. Yeah, we have the sheep who walk around outside, go to the beach and drive their cars and probably sleep with stupid masks. I'm sure that's the reason for our low numbers. If we are doing well it's certainly not because of masks. It sunk in that to avoid being infected you have to stay away from other people indoors.

But I'm seeing that people are getting fed up with the whole pandemic thing and overblown requirements.

For instance, this time of year here we have apple orchards where people and families go to pick their own apples. The local cable news did a story on one, and showed families walking around the 65 acres wearing masks. Indeed, a look at their website said that masks are required. But in a later version of that news story the reporter now made it clear that masks are not required except in the store. What had happened was people called the orchard and said they wouldn't be going there if they had to wear masks outside. Which is absolutely correct.

The only time cases spike is when people (usually kids) get together like has happened at some Suny colleges. We are still awaiting results from a Catholic church where the priests tested positive. All 400 parishioners were tested and are supposed to quarantine for 14 days- but I'll believe that if I see it. Yes, they all wore masks.

I'm waiting for the other foot to drop when elementary and high schools open this week.

All I can tell you Marv, is don't drink the cool aid. EVERYTHING about this mess is politically motivated or influenced even when you think it is coming from health officials who are told by politicians what to say. Numbers are manipulated for any number of reasons like to make politicians or parties look good or bad or to generate more government aid.   

Trace, are the bars in Dallas still promoting $1 long neck nights?  :002:

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 08:19:34 PM »
Bars were restricted, so all of them converted to "restaurants."   :011:

Online silversam

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 05:35:59 AM »
NYC, which got hit first and hardest SEEMS to have eaten the virus. Cases haven't disappeared by have been running under 0.1% for ....months?

I can't speak to Manhattan, as I haven't been in to "The City" since March, but 90% of the people I see in the streets are wearing masks.

It seems to be working. (That and Social Distancing).

When you go to the Dentist or to a Hospital and medical staff examine you - in normal times - they wear masks. They don't do it for the fashion statement. They do it because it prevents the spread of disease.

I'm going in to Manhattan on Monday (follow up with my Surgeon). I've got to decide whether to drive or take the subway. I'll report on conditions.

Stay safe, Be well. Stay healthy.

Sam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 11:48:18 AM »
When you go to the Dentist or to a Hospital and medical staff examine you - in normal times - they wear masks. They don't do it for the fashion statement. They do it because it prevents the spread of disease.

OK, let's talk about that. Hospitals and medical practices have protocols and doctors and nurses have training. How and when things get sanitized, when and how to use gloves, masks and what kind, when to change them, face shields, proper clothing, etc. They know how to put on and remove masks and they know not to play with it. They know how to put on gloves and remove them properly. So it's being professional and the SYSTEM that protects them, NOT one thing by itself.

Now, compare that with someone of the general public who wears a month old mask that's been hanging from their rear view mirror or stuffed in their pocket or purse. They constantly play with it because it's uncomfortable, possibly contaminating it or their hands. The constant BS from the media and the government about masks gives them a false sense of security too.

So why are our numbers down? Restaurants and bars haven't re-opened in the city yet and I see where they have here, they are mostly empty. Stores aren't crowded either. We'll see what happens when the cold weather sets in. Also what's going to happen with the schools.

Another factor that no one seems to admit is that the virus may be burning itself out. The 1912 pandemic started to go downhill after about a year and a half. And we aren't doing anything any different than they did then.

Sam, DO NOT take the subway!! 

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »

Sam, DO NOT take the subway!! 

-Hal

PLEASE!  We'll chip in and get you an Uber!   :008:

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 02:28:02 PM »
 :045:

-Hal

Online silversam

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 09:26:37 PM »
You guys are too much!  :003:

Sam