Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Networking at home?  (Read 56 times)

Online EV607797

Networking at home?
« on: November 15, 2020, 06:42:07 PM »
For about three years, I've been relying upon free use of TeamViewer at home to access my desktop PC.  It has XP on it and also my modems for remote support of phone systems, etc.  Not to mention, many of these programs are old and aren't supported by newer versions of Windows.  TeamViewer has since stopped supporting XP, or at least the only version they offer can't connect to my laptops using Windows 10, etc. anymore.

To make matters worse, TeamViewer is constantly accusing me of commercial use since I also support six computers for my parents and sisters.  I guess they think I'm some kind of IT professional.  I've gotten it restored twice in two months by sending them non-commercial affidavits, but this is getting old.

Anyway, I've noticed that I may need to figure out some way to network my home computers together.  All of my other devices are able to communicate using TeamViewer just fine, just not the XP desktop.  I noticed that most versions of Windows offer remote desktop and resource sharing.  I'd love to be able to keep all of this older hardware and programs on this XP desktop and just access it from other computers in my house.  I have both wired and wireless networking available at my disposal.  Is this something I can do or would a lowly telephone man even be able to figure this out?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Networking at home?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »
Just run TightVNC (or another flavor if you prefer) on all your computers at home.  Remote in from work to the one machine running TeamViewer, and then hope to whatever other machine you need via VNC.  We run VNC across the entire WAN. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
Re: Networking at home?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »
Can't you just forward port 3389 on your router to your PC, then use RDP to get into your home XP?

For the other PCs that you support, have you tried Chrome Remote Desktop? It's free, but I don't believe it supports XP.