Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone here know anything about fixing TVs?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Does anyone here know anything about fixing TVs?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 10:21:09 AM »
Ed, have you tried a hammer
Give it 2 good bangs and call me in the morning

:011: :011: :011: :011: :011:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline pvj

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 11:05:12 PM »

Yes, the sound continues to work, in fact all functions work.  It's just the picture that cuts in and out.

The picture is completely gone now.  It does nothing but a strobe-like flash of the screen about every second when powered up. 

I've looked at lots of information on the web and it is either bad LED strips (I hope not) or a bad power supply.  Either of these repairs aren't an option for me right now, so I'll just use this 'little' 32" until I can come up with a solution.  Thanks again, everyone.

If I remember correctly that's what mine did as well.I opened up the case and there were a few (3-4?) bad looking bulged out capacitors in the power supply.Cost me less than $10 to fix

Online Butch Cassidy

• Avaya Dealer
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 09:42:30 PM »
GET SOMEONE ELSE TO PAY
Just as a reminder, if you have any manufacturer's warranty, store warranty or homeowner's protection policy, call them first. Some stores and credit card companies give extended warranties on purchases that you may not even be aware of.  Also, I have heard of homeowners insurance paying for a bad computer, so it might pay for a bad TV.  Of course you have a deductible.  You wouldn't think they would, but I have seen it happen. Maybe your house was struck by lightning or an electrical storm surge. 

DO IT YOURSELF
The easiest test for a blank LCD TV is to put it in a dark room, turn it on and turn up the volume. You can use the buttons on the TV or on the remote control.  If you have sound, the problem is probably an LED not a circuit cards.  To test further, press the button to bring up the menu on the screen.    Then shine a flashlight on the screen.  If you can faintly see the menu, then the circuit boards are probably OK and your problem is probably a bad LED.  This is called  the FLASHLIGHT TEST.

The LEDs are all connected in series like Christmas lights.  If one LED burns out, the whole string of LEDS turns off.  When this happens, your TV goes from working fine one moment to being totally blank the next.  Just like the Christmas lights do.  You can buy a whole set of new LEDs in strips on ebay for $10 or $15.  You need to know your make and model of TV. 
You have to take off the back of the TV and replace the LED strips. There may be 3 or more strips.

They do sell LED testers for $50 so you can find the bad LED, desolder it and solder in a replacement.  But why do that if you can buy all new LEDs for $10 to $15?

If this doesn't work, you have only lost $10 or $15 and your time.  And you might find it interesting to open up your TV. 

If your TV doesn't pass the sound test or the flashlight test, it is probably a bad circuit board. Or if you are lucky, it is just a ribbon cable that popped out. 

GET A PRO
If you have an expensive newer TV, it might be worthwhile to take it to a TV repairman you can find through your manufacturer's website.  He will charge at least $200 but you can get an estimate first.  If you have an inexpensive model or one that is over 5 years old, it is probably not worth fixing. 

LCD TVs have an average life of 7 years, so if yours is older than that, it is  living on borrowed time.  Like a good car battery, they just fail after 7 years or so. 

Please do not donate your broken TV to a charity even if you can get a tax deduction for it.  I know you would not even think about doing that.  Don't poor people have it hard enough already without buying a busted TV at a charity sale? 

Butch Cassidy

Online EV607797

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 02:13:29 AM »
Thanks, Butch, but this thread is from over a year ago (May 2020).  The issue has long-since been resolved.
Ed Vaughn

(910) 833-6000 (V)   (540) 623-7100 (C)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com