Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)  (Read 4539 times)

NFCphoneman and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
People here are treating it like a vacation.  Go to the park, go visit, go shopping.   Nothing short of martial law will stop the "I want" crowd.  :035:
exactly!   

We have people from NY, NJ, and CT driving down here to get away from the crap up there.  One of the Carolina Gov's they must go into quarantine for 14 days or face a $1K fine.

I went to the store this AM for fresh fruit and veggies.  The toilet paper is going as fast as they can put it on the shelves!   Shouldn't all these people have enough to wipe their asses for the next decade!!!!! :035: 
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2020, 10:37:37 PM »
The news here just reported 800 deaths in NY in the past 24 hours.  I hope all of our family there are staying safe, well, and home.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline silversam

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, Trace.

Fran and I and our friends are fine. One friends son is a cop and he's been diagnosed with Covid 19. It's a little dicey because he, his wife and his daughter live with them. It's not all bad, because they live in large 3 story Victorian and live on the top floor (the old servants quarters  :003:). They're currently in isolation and are doing OK. Food is brought upstairs and is left at the door.

I just heard that one of the Chefs at our favorite local restaurant has died of Covid 19 and that quite a number of the rest of the staff are infected. I don't know if any are hospitalized.

Other then that everyone we know are locked down and healthy. Fran and I take the occasional walk around the block and go out for groceries - and liquor - (masked and gloved) every 10 days or so. We tried some of the delivery services and it was a disaster. Now we go out, buy what we need and come home.

Our move is on hold and we're currently stuck in the middle - living in the house, paying rent on the apartment. Furniture deliveries have been postponed indefinitely so we can't empty the house and I don't know when we'll be able to show it. Our plan to sell the house and invest the proceeds to earn a safe 5 or 6% and use the interest to pay the rent seems fanciful now, but we'll have to see.

The death rate is high, but the hospital admission rate is finally falling. The people that are dying now are the ones who were admitted to the hospital 2 weeks ago. With any kind luck we should peak this weekend and start to fall. I don't think we can see any relief in April, but maybe by the end of May.

It's rough trying to celebrate Passover in lockdown. It's a holiday that we celebrate with family and friends and lots of food and booze and a joyous good time. This year we did it with Zoom. It was remarkably good, but really, I hope to never have to do it like this again.

Holy week now and the streets and churches are deserted. My Temple has been running services with Zoom and i find it's very reassuring to be able to see friends and congregants even remotely. But it ain't the same.

I'm finally starting to see some statistics about the victims of the Pandemic. First responders are catching it (no surprise there) but the majority of victims seem to be people who ignore(d) the social distancing orders (Ultra Orthodox Jews) and poor people. Poor people of all denominations seem to be getting hit the hardest.

We'll learn more as time goes on and perhaps we can learn enough to take this seriously next time it - or something similar - comes back. Interestingly, the virus seems to have arrived in NYC from European travelers, not Chinese, but the origins are definitely Chinese. Stopping European travelers was never on anyone's radar as far as I know.

Everyone please stay safe and healthy!

Sam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
Poor people of all denominations seem to be getting hit the hardest.

That's the impression I got when they said they are using Hart Island for a potter's field.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:25 PM »
Glad you guys are in lockdown and doing well.

There is a private lab over in SW Ft.Worth that developed a test to see if you have the antibody.  As in perhaps you were exposed, but never showed symptoms.  We were told by one of the techs that they're testing for two strains.  They believe that those who recover contracted the lesser strain. 

You're right on point, Sam about if and when there is a next time.  For this country as the saying goes, it was our first rodeo.  Hopefully we'll learn from it.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
"The death toll in the United States has surpassed that of Spain, with more than 18,719 fatalities through Friday afternoon. Only Italy has reported more deaths." New York Times

Sad. Remember though the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 should have been our first rodeo. Stay safe everyone and let's ride this out. We have to get everyone healthy and back to work when the threat is over.

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
We also have to remember that the statistical toll is a different story.  The population of Italy is almost that of NY and CA put together - but the rest of the US cannot be counted in the comparison.  Yes, this is not good.  My company is making me come in to the office even though I've been diagnosed with a viral infection and am on medications for the next week.  I'm not a threat to others, but I shouldn't be out and about.  They don't care so much because greetings have to be recorded. 

I'm bored, and sad, and tired, and angry, and frustrated... so many things.  I don't want to live in this dystopian novella anymore. If it were warmer, I could at least disappear into the forests, streams, and lakes of upstate NY.  But instead, we had sleet, freezing rain and snow today.  I truly hate this.
“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
But instead, we had sleet, freezing rain and snow today.

There is a standing joke I have with my niece over in Little Falls and her three daughters (who I refer to as The Children of the Corn). One time in August her phone was out. My reply was " what happened, did a snow plow hit a pole somewhere?"

Hang in there, it's going to get better.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline silversam

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »
Sad. Remember though the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 should have been our first rodeo. Stay safe everyone and let's ride this out. We have to get everyone healthy and back to work when the threat is over.

The Spanish Flu was over 100 years ago. nobody these days can remember anything that happened 5 years ago.

My Mom had an older sister who died at the age of 4 when the Spanish Flu came back...1925 maybe? My Cousin Minnie who passed 10-12 years ago remembered her. Claire Semmel. "How old are you Claire?" "4, almost 5." She never made 5. It hit in 1918. It came back again and again and then it went away. And we forgot. This will go away - hopefully soon- and people will forget again.

I had a part of my career as consultant in "Disaster Recovery and Avoidance". Some of my customers were Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Westinghouse, The Bank of NY, Citibank, Damark and more. Let me tell you - everyone will pay for "Disaster Recovery". Very few will pay for "Disaster Avoidance". People don't want to pay for Backups. For Preventive Maintenance. For anything where you can't show the Board that there's a profit to be made.

Anyone who thinks we'll learn from this is a fool.

Sam

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2020, 10:36:23 PM »
Sam, I never get tired of reading your posts, thoughts, stories, and wisdom.  I feel like this one will come back again too, or at least some variant of it.

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2020, 10:42:34 PM »
Sam, I never get tired of reading your posts, thoughts, stories, and wisdom.  I feel like this one will come back again too, or at least some variant of it.

My daughter says she hears China may be having a resurgence already. 
“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2020, 10:54:42 PM »
My grandmother died in 1918 of the flu. My mother was 10 at the time. When I was a kid she used to tell me stories about how it was back then and to keep warm when I was outside in the winter. I just scoffed and said that will never happen again.

-Hal

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2020, 07:50:06 AM »
The Spanish Flu was over 100 years ago. nobody these days can remember anything that happened 5 years ago.

You are too kind Sam,  most people can't remember anything which happened 5 months ago!   :066:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online telemarv

« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2020, 08:04:40 AM »
You are too kind Sam,  most people can't remember anything which happened 5 months ago!   :066:

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2020, 09:51:28 AM »

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

:011: :054:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net