Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)  (Read 3336 times)

mongo5150, RATHER BE FISHING, Skip555 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »
I heard that yesterday Hal, but I still don't know much about it.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2020, 03:35:16 PM »
Some perspective from 102 years ago;

History of 1918 Flu Pandemic

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/1918-pandemic-history.htm
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online telemarv

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
Don't know if you heard this yet. Doesn't seem to be BS.

An effective treatment for COVID-19 has been found in a common anti-malarial drug.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/

-Hal

My wife has been on chloroquine for years as an RA treatment.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
I don't know why we're not hearing more about it. 
“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »
Some perspective from 102 years ago;

History of 1918 Flu Pandemic

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/1918-pandemic-history.htm

There is another article like that that goes a bit deeper and with commentary from an expert today. Really, nothing is changed in 102 years. We are still relying on isolation and quarantine, shutting of businesses, restaurants and stores.

This is something that didn't work back in 1918 because people became apathetic and ignored the warnings.

Back then the only media was the newspaper. Not even radio. Influencing people was tough. So I could be all wet here, but I'm thinking that it's real easy to scare the hell out of people and into compliance with the media, internet and social media that everyone is plugged into today.

Still, we should be ashamed of ourselves for the lack of anti-viral research and not having a quick solution for this after 102 years. Back then there was little technology. Today we got caught with our pants down. What? nobody thought that could happen again?

We used to talk about germ warfare. Probably more lethal than a nuclear blast.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2020, 11:23:07 AM »

My guess is twofold. The drug is commonly available, any doctor can write a script and you can go to CVS and pick it up. Any news that this drug could be a cure and it will wind up like toilet paper. It's logical that they want to give first priority to those at highest risk and healthcare providers. We also need time to ramp up production. (I heard that the UK is forbidding export of the drug.)

Second, if the public heard that all they have to do is take a pill and be cured they aren't going to care much about isolation and quarantine, which is still very important at this point.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »

The TV was on while I was getting a haircut.  Trump was talking about being in favor of it.  He stated that we already know it's safe, and that the FDA just has to approve it to be prescribed for this, early test results have been positive, and it's not going to harm you whereas we don't know what the new test meds might do.  Then he went on to talk about the importance of taking the time to make sure the new meds are safe before putting them in your body.  The media, during Q&A, accused him of trying to give the public false hope to quiet the hysteria.  Of course Trump quickly put the reporter in his place.

The bottom line to your question is likely that you're not hearing about it becuase Trump is in favor of trying it and paving the way for a quick approval.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2020, 12:17:14 PM »
I'd suggest doing a little research on this. Dr. Fauci directly contradicted Trump's hunch about the effectiveness of the drugs. Scores of other physicians have also come out saying this is probably setting up false expectations about a short term fix/treatment/vaccine for this virus. So of like saying anyone who wants to be tested can be when there were no test kits in the supply line.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/climate-and-people/coronavirus-doctors-scramble-find-treatments-number-cases-continues/

I'll take my medical advice from physicians rather than politicians.

Plaquenil is a variation of the chloroquine medications that are being discussed. I was prescribed this several years ago for joint pain. Within a week I had black spots in the center of my vision and could not read a computer screen. I'd be really leary of off label uses of meds that haven't completed a full clinical trial.

A good friends wife just posted she has been bed ridden with a respiratory infection that has turned into pneumonia. Awaiting testing and hoping for the best.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
It's safe to say you'll find opposing views, no matter what.  Unfortunately medical community or not, I fear it's also safe to say that what you're hearing is still largely politial.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2020, 01:54:58 PM »
It's safe to say you'll find opposing views, no matter what.  Unfortunately medical community or not, I fear it's also safe to say that what you're hearing is still largely politial.

Politics, much like bacteria, lives in all of us:002:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online Skip555

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
My son Ed is a Google software engineer, I just got this email from him.

"I got to talking to some folks at Google last Sunday and we started working with MIT on a project to help build some ventilators. So that ended up being most of my week (day and night) focusing on that. Project is still going so we will see if we can make a difference there."

everyone pitching in, utilizing the resources available to us where and how we can, will get us to the other side

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Saw today how some company was 3D printing masks and face shields and donating them to hospitals.

-Hal

Online Skip555

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2020, 09:03:46 AM »
Fine woodworking magazine had instructions on making facemasks to donate to first responders. (I'm looking for more info on this I know a couple of retired sisters who love to craft I'm going to put it to them. we can pay for the materials )  The woodworking community has put a call out for donations of unused facemasks. 

The local craft breweries and distilleries are producing hand sanitizer and donating it. The sheriff dept posted a picture of them standing next to cases of six-packs of donated hand sanitizer labeled "Motorworks brewery ".

For every POS that responds by driving around buying needed supplies then trying to sell them it super high  prices, there are thousands thinking what can I do to help
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2020, 09:16:46 PM »
Verizon wireless has added 15 gig to the data plans of most plans.  For those without internet they can use their phone as a hot spot.  This is in effect for March 25-31.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2020, 10:27:55 PM »
People here are treating it like a vacation.  Go to the park, go visit, go shopping.   Nothing short of martial law will stop the "I want" crowd.  :035: