Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)  (Read 4540 times)

NFCphoneman and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2020, 10:07:05 AM »
There is a lot to watch for with cross contamination.  I keep my own hand wipes in the car/truck and keep one pair of shoes in the garage for going out to the store, they are not worn in the house.  Groceries are unpacked in the garage, cans and boxes wiped down with disinfectant wipes and bags discarded, all produce washed in the sink.   Do you sometimes wear glasses?  I wear glasses only for reading, so I'm always setting them down.  Think about setting them down on the kitchen counter where you set the grocery bags you just brought home. Do you wipe down the glasses before you put them back on your face?

Are you observing the difference in precautions between the different stores?   
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
Groceries are unpacked in the garage, cans and boxes wiped down with disinfectant wipes and bags discarded, all produce washed in the sink.

We used to wipe everything down but decided that it was an exercise in frustration. With all the various irregular packaged items like veggies in plastic and mesh bags, shrink wrapped meats, etc. it's impossible to disinfect them. Yeah, you can get the cans and cardboard boxes but they've all been commingled in those filthy reusable bags. And I don't think I would worry too much about canned and boxed goods like cereal or pasta on the shelves. It's not likely they have been picked over, and if you want to be really cautious take from the back of the shelf.

My wife and I were checking out at the grocery store a few weeks ago and the lady packing her bags in the next isle overheard us arguing about whether to wipe everything down or not. My wife asks her whether she wipes her stuff down. The lady said no, and she works in a hospital.

What I do worry about is the fruits and vegetables sitting out in the open for people to pick through. I would like stores to eliminate that, possibly have an employee to bag and hand you what you want instead of self serve. I know a lot of people will get upset over that, those who like to squeeze their tomatoes, but get over it.

Then lets talk about washing veggies. That is something that always should be done anyway, but all we have is water. And water only washes off pesticide residue, it does little for the virus. There is a commercial veggie wash that Chipotle probably bought 100,000 gallons of. I believe it's from Ecolab that's phosphoric acid based. It was several months ago that I saw it so no mention of this virus was mentioned so I don't know if it's effective against it. It requires a dilution dispenser on the wall usually above a prep sink that you use when you fill the sink with water to wash your veggies. It's $$$ and not something that you would use at home.

So really, we're back to no self service veggies, unless you want to be like a nut case I heard of that washes her veggies in bleach. :019:

-Hal 
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
We rinse fresh picked blackberries off in a vinegar rinse to keep them from molding.  Probably the best option is for them to set out for a while like the mail.  Groceries usually set for a few days, but some things have to be refrigerated.  I'm not sure how much that changes things.  I recall at one point the mutation was 24 hours for paper and cardboard, and I think 3 days it could live on plastic. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2020, 04:56:58 PM »
I believe you are correct in your times. Unfortunately some vegetables like celery wilt after a few days and have to be thrown away.

Nobody has done any research that I know of on how long the virus can live on organic surfaces or if that is even a factor.

I do know that the virus will die quickly on copper.

-Hal 

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2020, 10:47:18 PM »
Well, time for China's Round 2.

Wuhan went 35 days without a case.  They had 6 over the weekend and will test all 11 million people over the next 10 days.

That's some serious intervention.  I heard someone today say, "This will all be over after the election."  The mentality of some people just dumbfounds me.  As if our election is so important that it affects infections in Europe, Australia, Asia, and beyond. 

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2020, 08:56:44 PM »
They had 6 over the weekend and will test all 11 million people over the next 10 days.

10 million people over 10 days would be almost 700 people tested every minute! If you had 700 test centers that would still be 1 person every minute!  How can they pull it off?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2020, 09:23:20 PM »
Well, they did build a whole hospital in like two weeks.  Then again, I think I heard they just had a hospital collapse too.   :011:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2020, 07:40:42 AM »
Well, they did build a whole hospital in like two weeks.  Then again, I think I heard they just had a hospital collapse too.   :011:

It would take this country 2 weeks just to file permits, then 2 years to get them approved, not to mention more bribe money than the cost of the hospital!  :011:

Maybe we could bring back "M*A*S*H" units just for testing!   :066:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
There are some guys that popped up on my YouTube algorithm who do urban exploring. They sneak into abandoned factories, hospitals, nuke plants- you name it, and video what they see as it really is without any censorship or propaganda. Being 20 years old and fearless they decided to take their exploring on the road. So just before the outbreak they were in China. You wouldn't believe the abandoned things over there and how they were constructed. Whole cities, and a water park that illustrates the point that Chinese engineering and construction is, well, lets just say my tree house that I built when I was 12 was better constructed. This is why they were all abandoned.

So it's no big shock that that hospital collapsed.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
So get this.  I know a lot of people feel that the numbers are higher because more people are getting tested, but the Feds have now found that Abbott Laboratories tests have reported false NEGATIVES in 48% of their cases.  Heck they can't even get the test right.  No way these jackasses are sticking a needle in my arm with their up and coming vaccines anytime soo. 

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:39 PM »
I have a long time friend who I refer to as my brother who literally lives in a small town in the Mojave Desert. Long story as to why, but he has some health issues, has family there and it's easier for him to breathe there.  This is from an email I got from him a little while ago:

"COVID-19 cases are up...  Temperatures are in the triple digits, but it doesn't seem to be having an effect on the virus.  It's a slow steady climb..."

I looked his the temps out there.  Highs this week are 106, 111, 113, 110, & 108.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2020, 09:51:30 PM »
Betcha people are staying indoors with the A/C blasting recirculating the air.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
Could be, Hal.  He said they're slowly reopening businesses so that likely has an affect as well.  Based on Australia I was afraid the heat wasn't going to be a magic fix, and this seems to perhaps show that is the case.  :016:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
I thought the fix was direct sunlight and not necessarily the heat.   At over 100 degrees everyday it would be hard to get much direct sunlight without burning up.  I'll bet Hal is right about the AC. 

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2020, 10:44:03 PM »
It's going on 9 p.m. there and the temperature is 102 degrees right now.  He said about sundown their is usually a migration toward the river with floats.  Whatever the case it doesn't seem to be abating things, but again it's been winter in the Out Back and they have had huge issues.