Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)  (Read 4537 times)

NFCphoneman and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2020, 02:25:47 PM »
And another thing! I went to my local supermarket just now and everybody is lined up outside waiting to get in with those reusable shopping bags that we now have to use. So, let's see. You carry them into the store, put them into a shopping cart, put your stuff into them after checking out then bring them home and into your kitchen. Then you need to keep them someplace. If you repeat that maybe 100 times until the bag falls apart what are the chances that it's going to pick up something nasty?

I know that the plastic disposable bag ban went into effect before this, but this virus changed the game in a lot of ways and we need to rethink many things. There is a lot more at stake than tree huggers now. We are wanting restaurants, when they reopen to only provide single use paper menus that get thrown out for instance.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2020, 02:31:29 PM »
We are wanting restaurants, when they reopen to only provide single use paper menus that get thrown out for instance.

-Hal

And we're back to single-use straws. 

The groceries stores around here are using plastic bags again.  If you bring your own in, you have to bag your own groceries.  Store personnel won't touch them. 
β€œIt's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
The groceries stores around here are using plastic bags again.  If you bring your own in, you have to bag your own groceries.  Store personnel won't touch them.

Can't blame them. You never know where they've been. (Think of some of the people and houses you've seen.  :020:)

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
At the state level shelter in place ends this Thursday.  Friday everything but hair salons, barber shops, nail salons, and gyms can reopen with 25% max capacity and social distancing in place.  If there is no spread they can go to 50% as early as May 18th.  I fear it's too early.  Too many counties here are still seeing drastic upticks daily.  I won't be rushing back to the other office anytime soon.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2020, 07:29:19 PM »
At the state level shelter in place ends this Thursday.  Friday everything but hair salons, barber shops, nail salons, and gyms can reopen with 25% max capacity and social distancing in place.  If there is no spread they can go to 50% as early as May 18th.  I fear it's too early.  Too many counties here are still seeing drastic upticks daily.  I won't be rushing back to the other office anytime soon.

"I fear it's too early." You and many others. :016:

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2020, 07:53:49 PM »
"I fear it's too early." You and many others. :016:

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said, no.  He has really been pretty proactive on things, and of course in a county like Dallas you're going to come under all sorts of racial fire from some of the commissioners, but I have to say he has held firm.  I didn't hear the conference, but I understand that he basically asked why we would reopen things when there are two set criteria required prior to recinding the orders and we haven't reached either of them. One being a 7 day decline in cases.  He apparently said the state can do whatever they want, but Dallas County will stay the course. 

The youngest death happened a few miles from me.  17 year old girl in Lancaster with no underlying medical conditions. 

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
Our Westchester County Supervisor Latimer held a press conference a little while ago and was asking Cuomo to not include Westchester with NYC. Yeah, good luck with that. Then how about stopping that commuter line that runs from Grand Central up through the well to do towns up here? Funny how the only cases we have around here are in Chappaqua, Sleepy Hollow and Pleasantville. While he's at it, make it so that nobody crosses the Westchester/NYC border. Build a wall!

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »
...Build a wall!

-Hal

:011: :011: :011:

I have this vision of Hal wearing a red tie, a kick ass suit, his hair piled up high running for office on a build the wall ticket. 

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2020, 09:48:23 PM »
Hmmmm. Maybe not a bad idea.

-Hal

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
So today we hear from Cuomo during his daily briefing that hospital admissions are down, but now better than 60% of the new covid admissions have never been out of their house. He finds that very interesting as do I. Somebody has to do some serious detective work to see how that happened. Either the people are not being quite truthful, people are visiting them or there is something else going on here.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2020, 04:33:54 PM »
Cross contamination?  When the mail comes in, I let it set there for a few days before I ever touch it.  Who am I kidding?  I'm doing good to get to it once a month.   :011:

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
I'm with you. If I can't let it sit I make sure to wash my hands and not touch anything else before. I've thought about contamination on your shoes. So I thought of how they try to limit the spread of bird flu when workers walk into chicken coops. The have foot baths that you walk through to disinfect your shoes. So I have a commercial rubber backed mat at my side door that we mostly use. We also have bottles of disinfectant that I got from a cleaning company that uses it to mist offices and stores for covid. What I'm doing is spraying the mat to keep it moist and everybody wipes their boots or shoes on it before they step into the house. Yeah, I know many people take their shoes off but I'm in and out 100 times a day.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
That's a great idea, Hal.  How many times do kids play on the carpet or you just lie down in front of the TV to stretch out your back at the end of the day?  Heck or laundry ends up in the floor to be folded?  The problem down here is finding any disinfectant.  What I have I tend to reserve for spraying my mask when I get home and put it in a ziplock bag.  You won't find any in spray cans here, but like you I try to find the industrial stuff, and then I put it in a paint gun on my air compressor.   :008:

BTW, this is from a great episode of Scrubs on cross contimination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2vpOh5wws

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2020, 10:23:51 PM »
To follow up on my post above about the 60%. The breakdown of all hospitalizations is 18% ride public transportation, 22% are from nursing homes and assisted living and 60% were from their homes that they claim they never left. The 40% is understandable, but the other 60% is a large number that is very alarming and needs to be analyzed. What are these people doing that put them at risk? Is there yet another transmission medium that we don't know about?

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2020, 11:18:29 PM »
That does seem high.  I feel sure some are lying, but that still seems high.  I still contend it has to be cross contamination if they're telling the truth.  Food delivery.  UPS, Amazon, USPS deliveries.  Like you said, surface transmission.  They go out, get the mail, rub their eye, pick their nose, scratch their ass.  If not that then airborne is much more of a concern than we know.  It was a very nice night here tonight and I had to make a short back roads run.  It was a starry night and normally I would have had the windows down, but I tend to just leave the A/C set on recycle now.