Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: View Your Saved Passwords in Google Chrome  (Read 297 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
View Your Saved Passwords in Google Chrome
« on: March 07, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »
https://askleo.com/view-your-saved-passwords-in-google-chrome/

Security ramifications

I’ve never been a huge fan of browser-saved passwords, and while the majority of my objections2 have fallen by the wayside over time, one substantial one remains.

All we needed was your Windows password to view any password you’ve allowed your browser to save.

The implication is that the level of security required to display your password collection is the same as that required for logging into Windows. In practice, that’s not true. Your password collection warrants a long, strong password, with two-factor authentication.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: View Your Saved Passwords in Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
You can do the same thing in Firefox. I've actually used it to find a password I didn't save.

Do I care? Depends on what the passwords are for. I have a cardfile file (the original cardfile that came with Windows 1) that I started 20+ years ago. There are over 200 logins saved. If I had to open cardfile and scroll to the login for this site then copy and paste each time I came here I would go nuts. Add half a dozen other sites and it becomes impossible. So, really, should I be concerned about somebody hacking my computer and coming here?

Banks and financial institutions are another matter. Many won't allow your browser to save your login. Even if they do, they know when you try to log in from another computer.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music