Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Stop Sharing Your Browsing Activity with Facebook  (Read 514 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
How to Stop Sharing Your Browsing Activity with Facebook
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
https://www.techlicious.com/blog/off-facebook-activity-privacy

Facebook collects mountains of personal information about all of us, whether we mean to share it or not. The company pulls in data from third parties, adding tidbits of information when we visit sites or use apps that use Facebook's tools for tracking activities, including making purchases and logging in. Tracking your activity across the internet gives the social network a staggering amount of data on your day-to-day activity, which it uses to serve ads and recommend content it thinks you’ll like. This can lead to some creepy moments. But now Facebook is offering a tool to control the third-party information associated with your profile.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline EV607797

Re: How to Stop Sharing Your Browsing Activity with Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »
Firefox now offers a tool that blocks browsing information from being sent to Facebook.  Not sure how well it works yet, but I'm willing to give anything a try.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline ttech

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:21 PM »
Ed,

I'm using a browser called brave.  It uses the Opensource Chromium browser as a base and it says it is very private,  it's also developed by the higher ups at Java.

So far,  when i search stuff on it, and browse using it, I'm not receiving related ads in Facebook.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
I don't receive anything in Facebook, but then again, I don't use it either.   :008:

Don how does that browser compare to Vivaldi, or do you know?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Keighlar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:46:39 AM »
Don how does that browser compare to Vivaldi, or do you know?

This seemed informative:

Brave vs. Vivaldi
Here is the low down. Brave browser is better if you need something that is fast, secure, and more private. It also has a revenue program that looks promising, right now. Vivaldi browser is extremely flexible and customizable, but not so private in nature.

https://techwiser.com/brave-vs-vivaldi/

I've just started hearing about it very recently, but it sounds interesting. 
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
Thanks, Stace.  I'll add it to these machines we're imaging and give it a test. :054:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
I wonder if it will work on Win 7 since IE is now dead?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:32:54 AM »
It should work fine, Larry, but there are things that I still have to use IE for.  Especially CCTV systems.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
More info from mozilla.org;

How tracking works

Tracking relies on invisible code embedded in web pages. This code records your visits to websites and collects data about how you interact with pages. When the same tracker appears across multiple websites, it can compile a detailed profile of what you do online. Tracking companies also package, share, and sell this data to users of their service or other third parties.

These tracking techniques occur independent of the browser you use. The following trackers are blocked by default in Firefox, using a list of known trackers provided by Disconnect.
Social media trackers

Social networks place trackers on other websites to follow what you do, see, and watch online. This allows social media companies to collect data about your browsing history and improve their ad targeting. Even if you don’t use a social network, that site can still collect data about your browsing habits.

Social media trackers Firefox blocks and doesn’t block

Firefox blocks the most common trackers from Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn that appear on other websites.

The default setting is balanced for protection and performance. Pages will still load normally.
    Strict blocks more trackers, but may cause some sites to break. Go to your global privacy preferences to set your Enhanced Tracking Protection settings to Strict.

Social media companies will still be able to collect data about you on their own social networks, including Facebook-owned services like Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger. Logging in to sites using your Facebook or Twitter account is another way social networks can collect data about you.
Want even more protection against Facebook? Facebook like and share buttons on other websites allow Facebook to track your browsing activity, even if you never click them. To strip these buttons of Facebook trackers, add the Facebook Container extension.
Cross-site tracking cookies

Cross-site tracking cookies follow you from site to site to gather data about what you do online. This is most often done without your knowledge or consent. Data firms and analytics companies use these cookies to track you, profile you, make inferences about your interests, and retarget you with ads. Because these cookies are set by a different company than the website you’re on, they’re also referred to as third-party tracking cookies.
Cookies Firefox blocks and doesn’t block

By default, Firefox blocks the cookies that track your browsing activity across multiple websites. This includes cross-site tracking cookies set by ad, social media, and analytics companies. Other cookies, such as those that remember your login credentials or items in your shopping cart, are still permitted by default.

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline ttech

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 06:49:22 PM »
Brave seems to be working with the cross site tracking .  There's a little icon next to the address bar, and on facebook it lists 20 as blocked,   It also seem to load faster.    I'm not getting ads appearing for stuff I searched for on other sites. 

As soon as I go to www.amazon.com, the counter says 9 cross site trackers blocked and as I scroll down, it jumps up to 11.

I'm hooked on it    I even installed it on my iphone. 

Online telemarv

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 06:12:30 PM »
I use an add on extension called facebook purity. https://www.fbpurity.com/. Let's you customize the entire FB site. What you see and what they track. Everytime i try to tell friends about it on FB they block my post.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.