Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows 7 bug prevents users from shutting down or rebooting computers  (Read 521 times)

Online Keighlar

A weird bug of unknown origins has been hitting Windows 7 computers this week, according to multiple reports online.

Windows 7 users have been reporting that they are receiving a popup message that reads "You don't have permission to shut down this computer" every time they attempt to shut down or reboot their systems.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-7-bug-prevents-users-from-shutting-down-or-rebooting-computers/
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MooreTel

Re: Windows 7 bug prevents users from shutting down or rebooting computers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 07:19:19 AM »
Probably created my Microsoft to force them to upgrade to Windows 10.....
Wilson's Law of Commercial Marketing Strategy - As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

Online telemarv

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:52:54 AM »
I have one machine that won't shut down or reboot. It stalls on the logging off screen and I have to power it down once it reaches that message. I'll look into this as a possible reason/solution.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
Probably created my Microsoft to force them to upgrade to Windows 10.....

:011: :054:

And it came as part of an update.  :066:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:08:14 PM »
I have one machine that won't shut down or reboot. It stalls on the logging off screen and I have to power it down once it reaches that message. I'll look into this as a possible reason/solution.

It looks like it might have something to do with Adobe.  I do think it's entirely too convenient, though!
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline Skip555

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 05:18:55 PM »
I'm having a similar problem with win 10 , when I power done I hit the windows key and nothing happens , I cant click on the windows Icon . the only way I can power down is to hold he power key down . this happens maybe once a week .
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 05:47:03 PM »
Well I just got a screenshot from one of our locations.  We take zero MS updates, so it's not related to that.  Anyone resolved it yet? 

I haven't looked at it yet, but I know this machine was rebooted within past few days.  Wondering if it's a MS timebomb set with EOL.  I'll go look at the logs.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
This is a possible fix:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-users-suddenly-cant-shut-down-their-pcs-how-to-fix/

1. Open the Run dialog by hitting the Windows+R combo, type gpedit.msc and hit OK.
2. Go to Computer Settings > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
3. Search User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin approval and set it to ENABLE
4. Open Run again and do a gpupdate /force
5. Restart the system by opening the Run dialog again, type shutdown -r and hit OK

If you can't turn off after the gpupdate, then kill and rerun Explorer.exe from the Run dialog

Some people also claim that this issue is being caused by a recent Adobe update and that disabling their Windows services will fix the problem.

The services people state should be disabled are "Adobe Genuine Monitor Service", "Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service", and "Adobe Update".
Dr Seuss

Online telemarv

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
Open the Run dialog by hitting the Windows+R combo, type gpedit.msc and hit OK.

File not found.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 07:31:03 PM »
Open the Run dialog by hitting the Windows+R combo, type gpedit.msc and hit OK.

File not found.

Well that's new.

We tried the gpedit soution and it made no difference at all.  I authorized shutting down the Adobe services that Stacey mentioned on one at a data center, but haven't had an opportunity to attempt a reboot since.