Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Will Happen With Windows 7 After 14th January?  (Read 367 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
What Will Happen With Windows 7 After 14th January?
« on: January 29, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
I need to try this;

https://davescomputertips.com

Is The Windows 10 Upgrade Still Available For Free?

Yes, it is, on the proviso that you are currently running a genuine Windows 7 operating system. I have very recently tested this out on two of my client’s machines and both activated fine without any issues.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

Re: What Will Happen With Windows 7 After 14th January?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 06:37:42 PM »
I just upgraded a Win 7 Pro machine for free to Win 10 Pro.

Online EV607797

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:26:54 AM »
Interesting.  I have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition.  I only use it in the field for programming systems, so I've never given it much thought.  Hell, many of the computers are using XP without issues and I'm perfectly happy.  My only concern is that this netbook doesn't have a lot of RAM.  Will this be an issue, and more importantly, will the upgrade procedure detect this before it kills my netbook?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 06:04:20 AM »
I have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition.

I have a couple of those by Acer, I don't think it will work.  Most of those have  1gb of memory. I have bumped them up to 2gb but it's a special release of win 7.  Those netbooks can't handle a full Win 7 installation.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
We've never taken a MS update anyway, so this is moot as far as most of our sites are concerned.  We run security up front.  It'll be like XP, Ed.  When it comes to Microsoft and I know I've said this before, but we're more afraid of the fix than the threat.  How many times have you had a client dead in the water on Monday morning because they took updates over the weekend?

The real question will be what happen when 10 goes EOL?  That monster is inbred with the Windows Store and update server.  That beast may just cease to operate at any usable level.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »
The problem with the netbooks are two fold. The RAM issue cam be fixed by upgrading the memory but I think they can only use 3 GB max RAM even if it recognizes the 4 GB stick. The second problem is the killer...Win 10 doesn't support the video hardware of the netbooks. I was only able to use Win 7 business on my Gateway netbook after upgrading the memory to 3 GB. There used to be a Windows tool to see if your unit was Win 10 compatible. Don't know if it is still on the Microsoft web site.

I have started using the latest flavor of Linux Mint on some of my machines and find it user friendly and stable.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
It took me three hours today to upgrade a WIN 10 desktop that was being used as a UC server.  Painful.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss