Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I've got a new hobby  (Read 531 times)

Offline ttech

I've got a new hobby
« on: February 01, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »
Like most phone people i've always liked mechanical things.  I have a bunch of Clocks i used to buy,  but I haven't bought one since having kids 16 years ago.  They're too fragile and I cant really tinker with them.

Now My new hobby is old Hit & Miss engines.  I've seen them at fairs,  and the Amish use them to churn Ice Cream but never really saw one for sale.   All that changed new years eve when one showed up on facebook market place.  I was the first to respond but, it was like wild fire she said.  I got it for far less than its value, but the important part It wasn't someone else's unfinished project,  her husband had kept it in tip-top shape.

Now I'm up to 2.   

I remember Larry posting about his windmill,  I'm sure he would appreciate the simplicity and longevity of these engines.   

Online RATHER BE FISHING

Re: I've got a new hobby
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Huge following down in Texas. There is even a guy on Craigslist offering $5,000 for old hit and miss engines. You'll have to post pics of your engines.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 06:11:33 PM »
Cool!  Can't wait to see the pics.  :054:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline ttech

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »
I couldn't figure out how to link the files without them being huge and fuzzy so here's a link to an album

https://s2.photobucket.com/user/donbaker/slideshow/engines

The big one on the tilt trailer is a  1926 Fairbanks-Morse 6HP  throttle governed engine

The little one is a 1926 Stover 1.5HP hit & miss engine

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 09:57:37 PM »
Okay, that's pretty cool, Don.  :054:

BTW, when you're posting a reply, there should be a little + sign below the reply window and it'll say something about attachments.  If you click the plus sign, you should be able to upload pics directly.

I did set a maximum width in the control panel to 1000 a few days ago to keep pics from going off the side of the page.  We may need to adjust that setting, but it seems to be doing okay for now.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline ttech

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 06:46:08 AM »
ok lets try this again

Online silversam

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
Interesting....

What powers them? Gasoline? Kerosene? 20 Mule team borax? Conan the Barbarian turning the big wheel?

Us City boys in Brooklyn haven't seen anything like that in a  l o n g   time.

Sam

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 11:14:28 PM »
Gasoline. What makes them interesting is the way that they operate. There is a governor linked to the exhaust valve and when the engine reaches it's set speed the exhaust valve is held open so no firing takes place. The rotation is maintained by those big flywheels. When it slows down, the exhaust valve is released and operates normally until the speed builds up again. Hence the name Hit N' Miss that describes the sound of the engine operating.

Also, there is a container cast on top of the cylinder that you fill with water. That's the cooling system. It will come to a boil and you have to keep it topped off.

You really should get up here to the country more Sam. :011:

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online silversam

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
You really should get up here to the country more Sam. :011:

The COUNTRY or the COUNTY of Westchester, Hal? :011:

Well, I spent a lot of time in Eastern Tennessee and I don't remember ever seeing anything like that.

What is the point? The Raison d'être? Their reason for existence? What makes them required for....churning ice cream or whatever. (BTW I thought the Amish didn't use machinery?)

I'm old enough to remember farms in Brooklyn and life before Television and air conditioning (at least in my house) and very few electrical appliances, but that engine is a new one on me.

Nice to see something that makes me go hmmm.... Look at that!

Thanks!

Sam

Online Skip555

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
There is a festival near us that we like to go to and there will be maybe a 100 or so these set up running doing various things some with belts powering equipment others just putting along . Many Snowbirds trailer them down .  I love hearing them  as you walk around . they also  drive old tractors around the ground . 

"BTW I thought the Amish didn't use machinery?"  there is a large Mennonite community in the area , I see them on electric bicycles driving down the road talking on cell phones dressed in traditional Amish clothes .

https://pioneerparkdays.com/

---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 09:58:21 AM »
There is a festival near us that we like to go to and there will be maybe a 100 or so these set up running doing various things some with belts powering equipment others just putting along . Many Snowbirds trailer them down .  I love hearing them  as you walk around . they also  drive old tractors around the ground . 

"BTW I thought the Amish didn't use machinery?"  there is a large Mennonite community in the area , I see them on electric bicycles driving down the road talking on cell phones dressed in traditional Amish clothes .

https://pioneerparkdays.com/

We have those "festivals" as well, we call them "lawn parties"  they usually occur during the month of June.  I have an original Maytag "hit 'n miss" engine which is considerably smaller. I would love to have one that size.  We also have a large Mennonite community, they are not as strict as the Amish.   

Many of our displays have the engine performing a task of some sort. One of those huge flywheels will have a long flat belt running an old piece of farm equipment.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
Quote from: silversam
The COUNTRY or the COUNTY of Westchester, Hal? :011:

The sticks to you guys down there.  :015:

-Hal

I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline ttech

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 05:08:02 PM »
Larry, That old united engine in the video is awesome.   

Sam,  my 1.5hp runs on gasoline.   the 6hp has a cup built onto the carb and 2 needle valves and so it starts with gas in the cup and you transition to Kerosene after it warms up.   I start them by letting my 16 year old son spin the flywheels.   believe it or not it usually starts on the first turn.

The 6 HP is missing the original Magneto but was rigged up with a trip mechanism and a car coil.   One of these warm days ill scrub the dirt off of it, and get a magneto and muffler

My brother and father collect Lionel trains,  and they spend a small fortune on them and they are all in boxes in the basement.  At least with this I sit and watch it run. 

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 06:06:48 PM »
Check out that external camshaft!

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 07:09:34 AM »
Check out that external camshaft!

This is the first time I've seen a hit 'n miss with a camshaft!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline jeffmoss26

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 07:53:57 PM »
check out 'shopdogsam' on YouTube - he does lots of engine videos!
Jeff Moss
Moss Communications
jeffmoss26@gmail.com