Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best browser?  (Read 301 times)

Online EV607797

Best browser?
« on: January 10, 2020, 11:22:22 PM »
Is there a good browser out there that isn't a memory hog?  I've been using Firefox for years, and recently started using Chrome because certain applications require it.  Both of them eat up over 50% of my laptop's 4Gig RAM.  It sometimes gets bad enough for the laptop to crash, but often, I just get those silly "Gak" or "Aw Snap" error messages from the web browser and start all over again. 
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Best browser?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:52:26 AM »
Ed Firefox has a memory leak that continues to draw memory the longer it's open.  I have 5' of monitors and taskbar, so with so many projects up at once, I may only reboot every once a year; literally.  So what I have to do with Firefox is go into Task Manager, kill the processes to crash it, and then relauch it.  It will come up and restore all the tabs, but will be using a fraction of the RAM. For now.  Then it'll leak down again and I'll crash it again in a month or so.

As for other options, I usually have three browsers going at any one time. The other one I use is Vivaldi.  Like the other browsers some sites don't work well in some browsers, but it's another useful option.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Re: Best browser?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
Ed Firefox has a memory leak that continues to draw memory the longer it's open.  I have 5' of monitors and taskbar, so with so many projects up at once, I may only reboot every once a year; literally.  So what I have to do with Firefox is go into Task Manager, kill the processes to crash it, and then relauch it.  It will come up and restore all the tabs, but will be using a fraction of the RAM. For now.  Then it'll leak down again and I'll crash it again in a month or so.

I do the same thing with mine!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.