Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dual WAN port routers?  (Read 455 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

Dual WAN port routers?
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:23:49 PM »
I have a client that has two ISP's, a primary and a backup, and I'm wondering which routers you guys are using that have two WAN ports.

They really are not interested in load balancing or anything other than a failover situation. When the time is right I plan on having a meeting with them to let them know what the advantages are as far as balancing because they do transmit video signals 24/7.

Offline ttech

Re: Dual WAN port routers?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »
My buddy pushes a company called big leaf.   It’s some router that has 2 or more wans connected that goes through their service and they provide the outside IP via their device.    You can unplug either wan and it’s business as usual.   Even VoIP calls are seamless during a failure as far as I know.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:25:27 PM »
Big Leaf is an SD-WAN provider we've actually looked at also.  They give a good sales pitch. 
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:03:03 AM »
We use Sonicwall.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:56 AM »
+1 for Sonicwall.

Offline tonyburkhart

• www.teamburkhart.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 06:18:02 AM »
It really depends on exactly what you want that edge appliance to do.

We are a MikroTik shop, and it is a perfect dual-WAN (failover) routing device and super reliable. We have them installed and working at client from 15 seat shops with Spectrum coax as a primary and failing to an AT&T U-verse connection all the way up to a 100+ seat shop with CenturyLink fiber primary, Spectrum fiber secondary, and Verizon cellular tertiary.

Also, you don't have the ongoing fees of a Cisco Meraki, SonicWALL, etc. if all you need it to do is be a multi-WAN failover routing device. However, the aforementioned pay-as-you go licensed devices/services are fantastic if you want that appliance to be an "everything-in-one" box too. They can call do WAN failover, monitoring, and alerting, and have a nice graphical interface along with support contracts for a live tech etc. on most of their tiered plans.

What it really comes down to. Is this a budget conscious decision or a high-availability and make it work no matter the cost, type of decision?
Thanks,
Tony Burkhart
Team Burkhart
www.teamburkhart.com

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 10:00:18 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Now I have more research to do.  :003: