Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Life in the Quiet Zone  (Read 372 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Life in the Quiet Zone
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
Are you tired of all the technology and would like to get away from it all?

West Virginia Town Avoids Electronics for Science

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141010-radio-telescope-green-bank-west-virginia-astronomy/

Because of its vast size and sophisticated design, the GBT is exquisitely sensitive to even the faintest radio pulses coming from space. For the same reason, it is also extremely susceptible to electronic interference. Any device that generates electromagnetic radiation—a cell phone, a television, a wireless Internet router—can skew its data. And so the people who live in these parts must, by law, forego some of the gadgets that most of us take for granted.

Those restrictions began in the 1950s, when the Federal Communications Commission created the National Radio Quiet Zone, a 13,000-square-mile swath of sparsely populated countryside that straddles the borders of West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland. Use of the airwaves inside the zone is strictly regulated to ensure that the high-tech telescopes at Green Bank and nearby Sugar Grove can operate with minimal disturbance.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Life in the Quiet Zone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:53:02 PM »
Hey! Doesn't that "OPEN" sign have some kind of controller?

What about outsiders driving through or into town? Can't make them switch to diesel at the border. Big parking lot maybe and someone with a diesel Uber takes them around? 

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »
I'm surprised they can obtain any kind of compliance at all with the entitlement attitudes.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 06:49:15 AM »
I agree with both of you.   Since this is only 83 miles from me, I plan to visit and see what's going on. 

Those restrictions began in the 1950s, when the Federal Communications Commission created the National Radio Quiet Zone, a 13,000-square-mile swath of sparsely populated countryside that straddles the borders of West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland.

My farm is close to the center of that and I have never heard of any restriction!  You would think amateur radio people would have all kinds of conflicts.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
I certainly understand where they are coming from, but back in the 50's things were A LOT different than today.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 06:57:06 PM »
You would think amateur radio people would have all kinds of conflicts.

You really would think that would have been brought to your attenion very early on in your radio career.  As for cell phones, my guess is that there is no coverage there rendering them basically useless. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 11:12:55 PM »
There is a question on the Amateur Extra ham radio license test referring to this NRQZ (national radio quiet zone).

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
Learn something new every day. I have been around radio all my life and never heard of the NRQZ. I would have assumed without research that this was a holdover policy from the old days of the likes that prevented and restricted airspace around Oak Ridge Tennessee because of nuclear research facility.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 05:19:15 PM »
Learn something new every day. I have been around radio all my life and never heard of the NRQZ.

Don't feel bad, my farm is in the zone and I didn't know about it!  Between Harrisonburg and Staunton on the map!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 05:32:17 PM »
As for cell phones, my guess is that there is no coverage there rendering them basically useless.

Just because there are no cell sites doesn't mean that cell phones in the area are going to stop transmitting unless people turn them off or at least put them in airplane mode. Matter of fact if there are no cell sites within range I believe the phone will go to max allowable power looking for one.

I can see people who live there not having cell phones but what about people from outside?

-Hal