Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Using an old router as an AP?  (Read 136 times)

Offline EV607797

Using an old router as an AP?
« on: December 18, 2019, 06:23:43 PM »
I'm trying to extend the reach of my Wifi signal at home.  I know I've seen this done before, but I think there might be more to it than I thought.  I have a Cisco 44516 router that I plugged into my wired network on the LAN port only.  My intention was to use only the radio and switch functions of the router to act as an access point.  My thought (and what I've seen before) was that as long as nothing is plugged into the WAN port, the router function won't be relevant.

The Cisco shows up in a Wifi search, and since it's not configured for anything, it allows unrestricted internet access via my network.  I sure don't want that.  I think there's a term that I'm looking for to configure this Cisco to just act as a pass-through device (bridge mode?).  Am I on the right track?  If so, any thoughts on what I need to do?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline ttech

Re: Using an old router as an AP?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 06:19:45 AM »
We used to do the same thing.  Turn off DHCP in a wireless router and configure the wireless with the passcode and plug the network into a lan port.   Basically you get anything that is available out the patch cable over the WiFi.  It’s really just changing your means of connection.

Offline telemarv

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 12:04:05 PM »
Give the WIFI in the old router the same SSID and password as the existing and you will switch seamlessly between the APs.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Offline EV607797

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Hmmm....  That's what I was hoping for.  I defaulted the Cisco, accessed it directly with a cable and changed the SSID, but it didn't seem to be interested in a password entry in the basic setup parameters.  After this, I changed it to bridged mode, same thing.  It now shows up as an available wireless network as hoped, but it's not asking for a password.  It allows full unrestricted internet access.  To make matters worse, it now won't respond to the default 192.168.1.1 access.

I know my main router is the one that should be asking for the password, but it isn't.  Could this thing be getting internet access from somewhere else?
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (910) 835-3600 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com