Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fitbit to Be Acquired by Google  (Read 106 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Fitbit to Be Acquired by Google
« on: November 04, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Fitbit to Be Acquired by Google
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
That's a really good point, Larry.  As it is, Google looks at your IP and serves adds to your whole LAN based on what one user searches.  Now consider your device being worn around town and later syncing your data.  Google now knows where you go, likely what you do, and your sync IP. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online telemarv

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 06:45:22 AM »
Don't have one, don't want one. I won't get a "smart" TV, speaker, refrigerator or any thing that listens to what is going on in my home.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 04:44:26 PM »
I got a VM message the other day from you know who. All the guy said was "we noticed that when somebody says hey Alexa your company doesn't come up".

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 05:45:32 PM »
I got a VM message the other day from you know who. All the guy said was "we noticed that when somebody says hey Alexa your company doesn't come up".

-Hal

I got several of those voicemails!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
Here's one of interest.  My secretary had been trying this mail order meat company.  It's all grass fed, natural, no antibiotics, no growth hormone, etc.  The meat is very good I have to admit, but the point of the story is that she shot me a URL to look at the prices.  That was about two weeks ago.  Since then if I go to Youtube, I see commercials for this company.  Okay nothing new there, but today I received a direct mail solicitation from this company at my home address.  None of the other neighbors got one.

The Google car that drives around filming for Street View also sniffs your wifi signal.  That's why you can turn on a setting on your phone to improve location services.  Even if you're not hitting towers, Google says, "I know this wireless signature" and can zero in more on your location.

So the story is that I suppose Google now not only knows your IP, and your wireless signal, but they can now use that so advertisers can direct mail to you after you visit their site.  Maybe I'm off on this, but once you've been a tech for a few decades, you just don't believe in coincidences. 

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Believe me, nothing surprises me anymore.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »
Most of you know that aside from my day job so to speak I gathered up a few other businesses over the years.  Most of which are joint ventures.  I would own them, and someone else would run them.  Most of you also know I have been trying to wind those down, but one of them is an investigations firm that's been going strong for decades that was run by an old supervisor of mine from my law enforcement days.  Earlier we had investigation tools in the private sector that local police departments only had in their wildest dreams.  Today with marketing, many departments have the tools, but since they're from the private sector, there is a fee to be paid for every search, so only higher ranking CID personnel has access to them.

Where I was going with this is that we have some reverse IP lookups that are a bit different.  Data companies pay for your info.  So Hal, you go to an auto parts supply on line, and buy a part.  They now have your IP and your name, billing and shipping address, etc.  True, you may not have ordered from there, but that IP now gets associated with your ID.  Your ID is also associated with your vehicle license plates.  We have reports that will show us what traffic cameras have seen that plate in the past 30, 60, days etc.  Not only traffic cams, but there are repo wreckers that drive through parking lots, apartment complexes, etc. and they have cameras that photograph and catalog all plates.  If the wrecker drives past a car that's wanted for repo, he gets an alarm.  As these companies get gobbled up by each other, the beast grows stronger.