Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dallas tornado  (Read 358 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Dallas tornado
« on: October 21, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »
I hope everyone is OK.  Texas members, please let us know if you're OK.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline TexasTechnician

Re: Dallas tornado
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
Thanks for inquiring. All that hit near me was rain and lightening. I don't think it was anywhere near where Trace lives but you never know where he may be at any given moment.

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
Trace is good, but he's been without power. I'm sure he'll check in as soon as he has a moment to sit down. 
“I had someone once who made every day mean something.
And now…. I am lost….
And nothing means anything anymore.”
― Ranata Suzuki

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 08:28:00 PM »
Hey gang.

3 of them went over us.  As soon as I could hear the sirens east of me instead of west I knew they were on the other side.  We were on backup generator for about 24 hours which isn't unusual at all, but we're back up.

Glad to hear you're okay, Bobby.  One of my locations about an hour NE of you lost the main data pipe.  No internet that direction, but then again they don't even get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday.

I understand Gov. Abbott declared Paris a disaster area.  My first thought was, before or after the storm?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online silversam

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »
Glad you're all well. Stay healthy!

Trace - What does your generator run on? Propane? Natural Gas? Diesel? Gasoline?

If it's not piped in Natural Gas (or Diesel, I guess), I would worry like hell about storage.

Sam

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 11:53:33 PM »
One of my locations about an hour NE of you lost the main data pipe.  No internet that direction, but then again they don't even get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday.

Yeah, what was so strange for me was my Internet went out yesterday morning long after the storm had passed. It was my ISP's link they said.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »
Bobby, I think that's what happened up there as well because that ISP was dead city wide.

Sam this particular location is currently gasoline, but it's because it was originally a stop-gap.  If I were to stay here, it would get upgraded next year and be propane just because there is no natural gas over here.  Wherever I move, the new system will be propane from the start unless natural gas is available which is the out of the park home-run.

Online silversam

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »
Trace -

I've experienced a couple of power outages over the years here in NYC. Some minor  (a couple of hours) some major (a couple of days) and after Hurricane Sandy (where I did NOT lose power) I considered getting a generator. I've already got Natural gas coming into the house and I've got a small backyard so it seemed like a no brainer.

Then I thought how often I've actually lost power for more than a few hours. (Twice) Over how many years (45) and decided I had better things to spend my money on.

I did advise my friends who live half the year in Maine and they wound up with a Propane generator that they use (more than) several times a year. Sometimes several times a month - especially in Winter, even if they're not there - it kicks in automatically and keeps the boiler running and the pipes from freezing. Not something I imagine you'd worry about in Texas :066:.

Sam

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 10:04:44 PM »
Oh trust me Sam pipes do freeze her in Texas. Not every year but one time is one time too many.

Talking about generators: I have a 110 volt and a 220 volt that are gasoline ( Brigg's & Stratton ). My 110 is 38 years old according the serial number and I've got it running like a top after putting an electric ignition coil on it this Summer. My 220 is in my shop in East Texas and I have not started it in a couple of years. We only use it for arc welding in the field and we haven't had to do that in a few years but I really need to get it ready.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »
Sam,

Our pipes aren't buried too far underground.  Also, many places have the hot water heater out in the garage. The pipes in the wall (an external wall at that) froze at my assistant's house years back.  I had to bring a jet engine kerosene heater over to thaw the pipes.  Also, some  houses are pier and beam with the pipe up above the ground.

There have been times I've lost power for 4 days in the city limits.  Storms here are really volatile.  I plan on always having one as a backup.  If I had natural gas, as you said, that would be a no brainer. 

The one thing that I will change when I move is that via some sort of short gap with batteries, I want to have  a whole house battery backup system so that all the electronics don't take that brown-out hit when the power fails and the generator kicks into action. For that matter, even for when the generator doesn't kick in, but we just get brown-outs. 

Online silversam

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »
Trace -

I put solar power in a few years ago. I almost didn't, because the City limited me to 10 panels (I live in an attached 1903 row house) and the FDNY want complete access on all attached houses to go from roof to roof, if required. In the end, I did it anyway. I'm getting 40% of my annual electrical consumption from Solar. Full payback (after rebates) should be next year or maybe the year after.

I did inquire after a battery system - I mean, I've installed dozens, maybe a hundred or more over my career from small ones to big "submarine cells" to a humongous 240 cell system to backup a whole 25 story bank.

I got turned down. NYC does not allow battery back up systems (of any significant size) in residential dwellings. They consider them bombs waiting to go off. In commercial and industrial space they are highly controlled. I remember one job down in the financial district where the customer had to get outdoor venting. Being as the building (180 Maiden Lane) was all green glass outside he had to run vent pipes 20 or 30 stories out to the roof!

So no batteries for me. If utility power fails my solar system shuts down (so I don't try to power the neighborhood and - more importantly - to protect utility workers). I can however throw a switch on the inverter which directs all my solar power to a receptacle mounted below the unit. It's enough (if the sun is shining!) to power a refrigerator and certainly charge phones etc.

Sam

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:26 AM »
Good information, Sam.  Here I Wouldn't be talking to the city.  Information is on a need to know basis.   :011:

When I move that might be a concern though. 

40% with a full payback in just over a few years is impressive.  When I've looked at solar in the past for anything other than hot water, the issue has been that the technology was changing so quickly that long before full payback, you would have gotten a better payback had you waited a few years.  Sounds like they're getting it down.

Here we do see some wind turbines. 

Offline RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
I'd be curious about how NYC feels about the Tesla Power Wall installations for residential.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall
Vertical Comdial Dx80 and  DX120 Voice Mail Repair/Compact Flash Cards
Comdial Debut Compact Flash Cards

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
Okay, Dave, you have my attention.  That's pretty awesome.

Online silversam

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »
Dave -

I specifically asked about the Tesla power wall.

A bomb in waiting was the response I got.

The huge number of people in close proximity scares the shit out of the FDNY & the NYPD when it comes to things that can go boom if not done properly.

I've installed floors full of 6' high lead-acid batteries. In commercial buildings. With adequate venting and Halon and......

In a residential building - no matter how well built?

Not happening.

There are 2.5 million people in Brooklyn. 8.5 million in NYC. 21-24 million people in the Metro area (immediate suburbs). That's a lot of people in a comparitively small area. The authorities are (probably rightly) concerned about possible disaster causing devices. When in doubt, keep it out seems to be the motto.

Sam