Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MAJOR cable, phone and internet outage  (Read 181 times)

Online hbiss

• Administrator
MAJOR cable, phone and internet outage
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:49:26 AM »
On Friday night, all subscribers in the entire tri-state area of NY, NJ and CT served by Cablevision (or is it Altice) lost service. This would be the entire system. For me it went down at about 8PM and came back at about 2AM. Others weren't so lucky.

While cell phones still worked, you could make calls but forget about the internet. We got a text blast from the police saying not to use 911 but rather a cell phone number of theirs in case of an emergency.

Verizon FiOs wasn't affected.

What's mysterious is that Altice hasn't said a word about it, just that they were working to restore service. Nothing in the papers or on the internet. I would think a major outage like this is cause for concern so their lack of information makes me wonder what they are covering up. Cyber attack? Terrorists? Also given the fact that it happened so close to 9/11.

I can't help but think about all the businesses that lost money that night because they couldn't run credit cards.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: MAJOR cable, phone and internet outage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »
I've seen that happen before with credit cards, Hal.  All the gas pumps in the city were down.

Their lack of comments seem to be more telling than any of the comments themselves. 
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
Cox Business lost all phone service for a few hours on Tuesday. This was nationwide and not the first time it has happened. You have to wonder how they lose service nationwide.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »
A local Ace hardware who is my customer has Cablevision and their POS system uses the internet for credit card transactions. As a backup, they have a regular CC terminal at the front counter on a Verizon copper POTS line. This was the original way they did CC transactions before the POS and I suggested that they keep it just in case. Fortunately they were closed at the time of the outage but it would have been a lifesaver.

I have been urging my customers lately to get internet from both Cablevision and Verizon and use a router that will fall over to the second provider should their primary fail. I think only a sign business I service does that now.

They may not have phones, but they are otherwise still in business.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »
At the cost of these 4G LTE failover connections we use them alot especially with Voice customers.
Gary Frisco

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
Here's the update-

Got an email promising a credit, for how much I don't know. They are blaming it on a power outage which I can't believe. I don't know how centralized their operation is, they are located Hicksville, LI. That cheap French company Altice has been closing and consolidating  everything as much as possible into their main location. All of their facilities have substantial back up generators so I have to believe their main location isn't the exception.

What I really think is that their servers got hacked. I'm thinking that their billing/authorization system would take the whole system down if it became inoperable. Their power outage story is a cover because they don't want to let people think that their personal information was compromised which would open them to legal problems.

-Hal

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
At the cost of these 4G LTE failover connections we use them alot especially with Voice customers.

Oobie, I noted that during this outage I had no data service through my cell phone, likely because their system was overloaded. So during any widespread situation like this I wouldn't expect to rely on cell service.

-Hal