Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NEC SIP Trunks.  (Read 173 times)

Offline TexasTechnician

NEC SIP Trunks.
« on: August 25, 2019, 11:52:02 PM »
NEC has been selling SIP trunks since March I've been told and I would like to know if anyone here is reselling them and if so how it's working out.

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
Re: NEC SIP Trunks.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
We have just gotten in a couple of trunks for testing and have been working through the ordering portal.  There are still a few kinks as they roll out the new portal, but I'm impressed so far.  Trunks were up and running within 2 hours of the initial order (probably less).  Prior to this, we would have to wait 45 to 60 days for a Spectrum build.  You have a ton of control over cost and feature deployment.  Have you attended any of the webinars?  If not, it would be worth the time. 

Here are some videos NEC released:
SIP Trunk Quoting Training Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Efy0a8MPo&feature=youtu.be

Provision SIP Trunks Training Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DrrWxeX0bw&feature=youtu.be 

Porting Training Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mfH0cwyns&feature=youtu.be

Billing Training Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVTYSLGhcf8&feature=youtu.be
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:38:18 PM »
Thank you Stacey. Yes Ma'am I've attended the basic webinar. That's what got me started on this.

I know analog lines are going away but I really do not like the idea of SIP trunks because of some of the problems I've heard other people mention. Such as a problem with the trunk and the provider points to the key system and so on. There is simply no simple way to test SIP trunks that I am aware of.

I know finger pointing has always been a problem but I used to request to met the TELCO on site so I could prove to them where the problem was and I don't think I can do that with SIP trunks.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
I know finger pointing has always been a problem but I used to request to met the TELCO on site so I could prove to them where the problem was and I don't think I can do that with SIP trunks.

Nope.  You're correct there.  Wireshark packet capture becomes your best friend.
― Douglas Adams

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 09:06:32 PM »
I've used Wireshark in the past for wireless network problems. It can be a complicated animal.

How would it be helpful for troubleshooting SIP trunks? Revealing lost or dropped packets? Corrupt packets?

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »
Not to mention ports that aren't open, IP routes that don't fit the equation, finding port numbers and a host of stuff you don't even think of until it doesn't make sense.  I have also been using it a lot lately to determine what maximum throughput will be regardless of the pipe size.  Using the Calculated Window Size, along with the Round Trip Time found by comparing the SYN & ACK, you can calculate what the two endpoints have agreed will be the maximum speed at which they will communicate.  As an example, this is from a recent sniff across a 1 Gbps pipe:

(212992*8)/138 = 12347.32 bits/ms or 12.35 Mbps. 

Yes, the network may have been a Gigabit Network on a 1 Gig pipe, but those two endpoints due to their hardware could only agree to talk up to 12.35 Mbps. 

You can also sniff the packets and then play back the voice conversation in the packets and hear the quality.

Just a few things to ponder.

What was it that lackey tried to tell you, Stace?  Something like Wireshark is the new buttset?  Too bad for him he had no idea who he was talking to and got schooled on Wireshark.   :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
Stacey/Skip,

What are the monthly cost on the SIP trunks just curious?  Haven't had time to do any of the webinars but Damn that does make it nice to work directly with NEC to get the SIP trunks and I see they have a cut sheet in NTAC for the NEC SIP trunks.

Gary Frisco
Gary Frisco

Online Keighlar

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 08:54:29 AM »
Gary,

If you're connecting them to a current version of NEC system, there's even a wizard that fills in all the static fields for you.   :011:

There are several different types of trunks with different costs.  As the reseller, you have some control over that pricing.  If you PM me, we can discuss that more off board.
― Douglas Adams