Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Said The V8 Engine Was Dead!  (Read 228 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
Who Said The V8 Engine Was Dead!
« on: August 09, 2019, 02:30:31 PM »
www.ford-trucks.com

Ford F-Series Super Duty now offers a torquey V8 with an asphalt-rattling 430 horsepower.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online hbiss

• Administrator
Re: Who Said The V8 Engine Was Dead!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »
Love it!  :004:

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:46:06 PM »
That's right at the 460 engine and they were some of the best running engines Ford ever had as far and I'm concerned. If an engine could feel emotions I believe the Ford 460 loved gasoline and they loved to run and run fast.

I had a 1973 Mark IV that I overhauled a 460 and installed it in and when I finished it the loudest noise under the hood with the engine running was the fan! You could not tell the engine was running by looking at it because there was no vibration at all.

In late 1981 I paid $600 for that car and spent $700 on the engine. I took it Earl Scheib in Dallas and had a $100 paint job put on it.
 At some point I wrecked it and got another fender from my Uncle for free and bought a parking light at a wrecking yard for $5.00. The insurance paid me $1500 for the wreck. I sold the car in late 1983 for $1500 and I bought a 1977 Mark V with the $1500 down payment.  :003:

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:02:14 AM »
Those 460s would pass everything on the road but a gas station. One of the best gas towing motors ever made. Can't wait to see the new generation of 7.3s
Vertical Comdial Dx80 and  DX120 Voice Mail Repair/Compact Flash Cards
Comdial Debut Compact Flash Cards

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 11:15:23 AM »
Those 460s would pass everything on the road but a gas station.

Agreed!   :011:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline telemarv

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
Those 460s would pass everything on the road but a gas station.

Agreed!   :011:

Only thing worse was the GM 500 CI they put in Caddys and Olds 98.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:55:13 PM »

Only thing worse was the GM 500 CI they put in Caddys and Olds 98.

That 500 was a HOSS!  :011:
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:25:05 PM »
Put a Cadillac 500 in a 1950 Studebaker pickup back in the 70s. It was totally unfit for the street. Fun at the drag strip though...if you could get the rear tires to hookup.
Vertical Comdial Dx80 and  DX120 Voice Mail Repair/Compact Flash Cards
Comdial Debut Compact Flash Cards

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
Put a Cadillac 500 in a 1950 Studebaker pickup back in the 70s. It was totally unfit for the street. Fun at the drag strip though...if you could get the rear tires to hookup.

:011:  Talk about a SLEEPER!  :008:

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
When I think about those days and today I have to laugh. Kids today put loud mufflers and NOX injection on some shit box Nissan or BMW and think they have a hot car.

Probably got that way because those are the cars their parents drove.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Offline telemarv

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 02:06:14 PM »
It's actually quite amazing how much HP the newer engines can produce.

My nephew has a 2005 Mustang GT350 (289 V8). With a little modification he's getting over 500HP on the brake dyno. Does the 1/4 mile in just over 10 sec. In the 60s and 70s it took engines twice that size and 3x the fuel.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 04:32:32 PM »
Sure, we've come a long way. Where in the 60's and 70's did you see electronic fuel injection? Today we have little 4 cyl engines with turbos as standard that rival small 8's.

Only down side is that back then nothing was complicated, today modifications aren't simple.

-Hal

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
Only down side is that back then nothing was complicated, today modifications aren't simple.

That's the truth.  Everything requires a computer chip. 

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 11:07:21 PM »
It's actually quite amazing how much HP the newer engines can produce.

Back in the early '80's I saw guys getting so much power from VW engines on their dirt dragsters that they would twist axle's if they weren't careful and they were not fuel injected in those days. Sometimes they shaved the fins on the tires so they didn't bite as much dirt when taking off. I guess it allowed the tires to spin just enough but still grip to launch.

But you have to keep in mind that whatever they were doing to those engines was for short runs like regular drag races. I'm sure they would have melted if you tried to run them on the streets.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
My first Galaxie had a stock 289 2V (trust me, it wasn't in there very long) which produced 195 HP.

Today I have a new Ford Fusion 4cyl. with a 6 speed automatic trans which produces 175 HP! (almost the same HP with half the motor)  And........this is the 4cyl without the ECO-boost!  Valve timing is advanced and/or retarded VIA the computer with the changes being made separately for the intakes and exhaust.   In the old days valve timing was a compromise with both intake and exhaust being advanced or retarded on the same camshaft  When descending  a mountain (and there's plenty of them around here) the computer will see I'm not pressing on the accelerator and the car is gaining speed, at that point it will down-shift and engine brake the car!

K4LRM

www.lscg.net