Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How To Keep Using Windows 7 Safely After Support Ends  (Read 185 times)

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline TexasTechnician

Re: How To Keep Using Windows 7 Safely After Support Ends
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »
Good article but at some point it just becomes too "Not worth it" to keep running an older operating system in my personal experience.

I would like to point out that keeping an outdated computer connected to your network is a weak link in loop that could jeopardize the entire network and every thing that is connected to it.

Having said that, I still keep a laptop that has XP Mode on it for the rare instances that I MUST use it. I don't like that option but it is what it is!  :002:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:37:27 PM »
I would like to point out that keeping an outdated computer connected to your network is a weak link in loop that could jeopardize the entire network and every thing that is connected to it.

Excellent point Bobby! :066:

I still run a couple of XP machines for electronic libraries. They are not connected to the internet or my LAN, these are stand-alone PC's for the purpose of maintaining old radio schematics and other related radio publications
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »

Excellent point Bobby! :066:

I still run a couple of XP machines for electronic libraries. They are not connected to the internet or my LAN, these are stand-alone PC's for the purpose of maintaining old radio schematics and other related radio publications

I agree but if you need to set up some VLAN/Separate subnets and put them on their own network.  We've had to do this for compliance purposes for clients that have software that just won't run on new stuff..

But with that said yes when you can update UPDATE!!!
Gary Frisco

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »

You have the right idea keeping them stand alone.  :003: Not many people tend to keep them stand alone.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
We have hospitals that are still using XP to run certain applications.  We just have to keep them well firewalled and take appropriate measures.  PC Matic's white listing AV was a great option for these machines in the beginning, but their new dll's won't work on the XP platform.  We still have a few XPs in our lab as well.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 11:17:40 PM »
We have hospitals that are still using XP to run certain applications. 

Then unless things have changed in the last year or so you have a few hospitals that are non-compliant and somebody in the IT department lied like crazy when they signed an affidavit stating that there are NO Windows XP machines in use on the entire network.  :011:

In all honesty I would bet that you won't find ONE hospital in the US. that is 100% compliant with that little rule.

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »
In all honesty I would bet that you won't find ONE hospital in the US. that is 100% compliant with that little rule.

Yep!   :011: :066:

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »
I know of a few dentists' offices who still run their practice software on 3.1.1.   :011:

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
I know of a few dentists' offices who still run their practice software on 3.1.1. :005:

I'll bet they still use the old belt and pulley drills!!! :002:

I can barely remember 3.1 or 3.1.1

Wasn't there a 2.0 that didn't work and was the but of many jokes?

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 06:57:07 PM »

Wasn't there a 2.0 that didn't work and was the but of many jokes?

No more of a joke than DOS 4, Win Me, Win 8, etc.   :011:

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 10:47:40 PM »
I remember 3.1 kind of fondly really. It didn't do much but it did it very well!  :011: :011: