Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roku devices?  (Read 249 times)

Online EV607797

Roku devices?
« on: July 04, 2019, 10:46:32 PM »
My cable operator (Spectrum) has gotten too big for their britches.  When I first set up service, I opted for their promotional triple play package for roughly $100.00 per month.  I did this with the understanding that it would increase after the promo period and it did at the one year mark to about $170.00.  Now they've sent me a notice saying that it's going up to $225.00 next month.  I called and was told that the promo period was for two years, not one.  Of this new rate, $117.00 is just for basic cable and about $25.00 is for digital converter/DVR rental.  After my call, they offered to lower my total package to $184.00, which is better, but still too much.  For the whole time, I've been using a Roku box for the TV in my guest room since it rarely gets used.  It has the app to watch all of the basic Spectrum channels that I'm paying for, so it's a win-win.  After my call to them, the agent asked me if I had any smart TVs or Rokus and I got to thinking that maybe I should get another one.  I did and hooked it up yesterday.  I know that I'll lose functions like rewind, pause, guide, direct channel input, etc., but that's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make.  For the past day or so, I've been using it exclusively for my viewing and haven't found that it's too much of a sacrifice.  Here's the thing:

I swear that the new one I bought had me go through very generic setups, like network settings, etc.  I don't remember it having me enter any of my Spectrum account information.  I still receive the full basic cable channel lineup for my area on this thing, as well as on my laptop.  My wifi connection seems to be good enough to support it.  My questions are:

1.  Is it true that I don't have to subscribe to their cable TV service in order to use the Spectrum app on these devices?  If that's true, then I can keep just Internet and phone service from them and save over $140.00 per month.

2.  How does the Roku unit know what my channel lineup should be without my having entered any Spectrum account information?

3.  Is anyone aware of a remote for the Roku that might offer some of the features above that I'm losing?  Like maybe the remote is what limits my options?

4.  Is anyone here savvy enough to offer me some pointers with these things?  The documentation is very generic and I've navigated my way around most of it, but I often hear of hidden tricks with other products that are similar.

I know this isn't phone related, but I also know that the crew here is very knowledgeable in just about anything, so I figured I'd ask here first.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
Re: Roku devices?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:42:53 AM »
I use the Roku stick and had Spectrum for cable.  At least a year ago, when my Time Warner contract expired and Spectrum pricing came into effect, I dropped them like a hot rock.  I was already paying too much with TW, but Spectrum was raising my bill to over $200/mo.

Dropping cable has been an adjustment, but I only pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix right now.  I can tell you that my Spectrum app stopped working when I dropped their cable service.  I did have to login to my app with my Spectrum credentials, though, which is where it grabbed my channel line-up.  They shut all access down when I returned my cable box.  I get no local channels.

Hopefully, others will respond with their experiences.  I don't know if mine was typical.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »
Only two words describe cable companies: Thieving Bastards. Cable is the second highest bill with heating oil the highest. But at least we get something from heating oil.

If I go to watch something on Food Network for instance with this computer, I have to log in with my cable credentials. So I suspect without TV service you won't get anything the cable company carries.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online EV607797

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
I'm just curious how they know because I'm positive that I didn't put any Specrum account credentials into the new one.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
If you can receive the basic channel line up on your computer then they allow that without a TV sub and your Roku shouldn't be any different. Have you ever tried to watch TV on your computer when you are off system? What  URL do you go to on your computer? Betcha I won't be able to do anything from here. They do know where you are because you get your IP through them.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online EV607797

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
I think you nailed it, Hal.  I have noticed when I go off-system, even if still within their service area, they limit my channel availability dramatically on my laptop to those that are pretty much free to anyone using the web.  They definitely don't allow me to access my local channels when I travel.  I just use their regular (http://HTTPS://Spectrum.net/LiveTV), so the local IP must be the giveaway since there are no identifiers in that URL.

Damn...  Back to square one.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:30:28 PM »
That link won't even work for me. When I go to spectrum.net and click on "watch TV" they ask for my Spectrum sign in.

They know who you are and where you are.  :002:

-Hal