Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Enterprise Grade Caller ID Logger  (Read 1874 times)

Online Keighlar

Enterprise Grade Caller ID Logger
« on: May 02, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »
We have a customer with a front door entry system on a dedicated analog line.  When a visitor comes a-knocking, they dial the tenant's apartment number and the entry system uses a database to then call a phone number associated with that apartment.  They are having issues with finding out who is letting people into the building.  We need a device that can log the outbound CID with date and time.  There are plenty of units that will log up to 100 entries, but we're looking for more - a lot more.

Is anyone familiar with a CID logging unit for an analog line that records more than 100 entries? 

Thank you!
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Enterprise Grade Caller ID Logger
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
You might try searching for pin logger.

Also call Teledynamics in Austin, TX.  At one time they had a device, but that's been decades ago.

This company will send you equipment on a 15 day free trial:  http://www.digital-loggers.com/techtips/loggerfaqs.html

Of course you might check with Sandman if they're still playing with such things.

Also, since the audio is very short, soemthing like this may offer much more than 100 calls:

https://thespystore.com/audio-surveillance-equipment/telephone-recorders/telephone-recorder-phone-recorder-voice-logger-tsv2240?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMX3tYv94QIVycDACh29zgygEAQYBCABEgJHbfD_BwE

Or how about putting an old EOL cabinet on the line with an SMDR?

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Keighlar

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
One of these options should work.  We'll suss them out and I'll let you know what we end up trying.

Thank you.  :003:
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
Dr Seuss

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »
Sandman has some stuff that may work: http://www.sandman.com/callerid.html

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »
I think video security is a much better option. For all you know some idiot hears the doorphone and just opens the door without anything being said. At least with a video log that's time and date stamped you have something to go on. Just be sure to get decent HD cameras.

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Keighlar

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
They have full HD video surveillance, but it doesn't show what was dialed on the keypad.  They're trying to get a record of who buzzed the guy through.
Dr Seuss

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:45:46 PM »
So I assume that unauthorized people are found in the building. Somebody buzzes them in. If your security is on their toes they can look at the video recording and see what time they entered. Then they can go to the outgoing call log that the service provider maintains for the line the entry system uses and see what number was dialed at that time.

But I suspect that this is unintentional by a number of people.

I don't know whether this is residential or a business. But management just might want to appeal to the residents or employees by letting them know that unauthorized and possibly dangerous people have been found in the building. For everyone's safety never buzz anybody in that you don't know.

-Hal

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Keighlar

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
It's Section 8 housing.  No one is fessing up to letting the guy in.  The entry system doesn't keep a log of outgoing calls and Spectrum is claiming that since it's an all-inclusive line, they don't keep the information, either.  The entry system has one Spectrum line connected to it.  When someone dials an apartment from the keypad, the system calls out to the phone number associated with the apartment and a DTMF digit from the tenant side unlocks the door.
Dr Seuss

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »
When someone dials an apartment from the keypad, the system calls out to the phone number associated with the apartment and a DTMF digit from the tenant side unlocks the door.

Perfect.  With logger like we discussed that also logs post connect tones, there will be no denying that it was the line that sent the authorization.  :054:

"I love it when a plan comes together."  -Col. Hannibal Smith

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »
What's an "all-inclusive line"? I can look on my Optimum home page under call history and go back a couple of months.

If this is one guy, grab him for trespass and give him another place to stay for a few months.

-Hal

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »
Perfect.  With logger like we discussed that also logs post connect tones, there will be no denying that it was the line that sent the authorization. 

The post connect tone is one digit that everybody uses to unlock the door.  Listening to audio is a waste of time IMO.

Another thought- how about a camera focused close on the keyboard so that you can see the purp on one camera and see what apartment number he punches in?

-Hal

Online Keighlar

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 07:14:55 AM »
You all gave me some great ideas to work with.  Right now we're looking at the purpose-built equipment.  If that doesn't work out, I'm sure we can look at different camera angles.  Everything in that front lobby has to be near bullet proof, which makes it a tad more difficult. 

An all-inclusive line is a line that has all taxes, fees, local and LD paid for in one monthly charge.  We are trying to get a portal to look at that activity, like residential customers can, but since Spectrum bought out Time Warner, they are claiming that they do not store that information.  I know that isn't true, but it doesn't stop them from claiming it.  I'm not the one making the phone calls to Spectrum, so I can't attest to the entire conversation(s), but we have attempted to get both a report and a portal login for that line to no avail so far. 
Dr Seuss

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 10:49:51 AM »
It's not about listening to the audio, Hal.  What I was referring is that some loggers, just like some SMDR feeds only record the digits dialed and quit capturing after the answer.  Others, will keep recording DTMF all through the call which captures PIN codes, account numbers etc.  One of those captures the fact that the individual pressed the unlock key so they can't say, "Well I got the call, but I didn't let the guy in because I didn't know him." Nope.  He called you and you pressed the unlock key for him.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »
An all-inclusive line is a line that has all taxes, fees, local and LD paid for in one monthly charge.  We are trying to get a portal to look at that activity, like residential customers can... 

I've never seen a provider that doesn't include all charges, taxes and fees in the monthly bill! And it doesn't matter whether residential or business, everybody has the ability to see a call log. I can even do that for our cell phones. Sounds like more cable company BS to me!!

I'm sure we can look at different camera angles.  Everything in that front lobby has to be near bullet proof, which makes it a tad more difficult. 

I understand, but they do make vandal proof camera enclosures as I'm sure you are aware. It even may be able to be made covert. Actual video of the purp in the act is going to be far more convincing than someone trying to explain what some dialed digits mean alone.

The call log shouldn't cost them anything, adding another camera shouldn't be that much either. For the guy that owns the building section 8 is easy money.

-Hal

Offline jknichols

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »
I wonder if the perp has figured a way to use a cell phone to inject the proper DTMF release tones into the lobby station - just call random apartments via the menu, and between "Hello?" and "Hello, Hello, who's there" just press the magic key on your cell and the door goes click!