Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AOL and Senior Citizens  (Read 93 times)

Offline EV607797

AOL and Senior Citizens
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:35:57 PM »
I do what I can to assist friends and family members with their minor computer issues.  Lately, they're all being bombarded by e-mail via AOL that is full of 'click here' links within the e-mail body.  I've begged them to avoid these messages and to ditch AOL because it's a well-known scammer's paradise.  These scammers know how vulnerable the elderly are when they think that they receive an e-mail from someone who really wants to chat with them.  They also know that only these vulnerable senior citizens actually pay for e-mail, especially AOL, so they'll probably pay for anything.

Does anyone have some kind of definitive information that I might be able to reference in order to get them to ditch these Godforsaken AOL accounts?  I've encouraged them to go with other providers, but they seem to think that AOL is the golden egg of e-mail services.  I'm banging my head against a wall.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: AOL and Senior Citizens
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »
Ed, I feel your pain, but I'm afraid logic isn't going to do much to change their decision that is based in emotion.  Of course you could set their email client to text only so the hyperlinks don't work, but then the pictures wont' shop up in the body of the email, and they likely won't like that. 

We're about to launch a test on the new whitelisting programs to stop the malware, but that doesn't stop them from making donations to places and concerns like that.  I wish I had a better answer for you.  Maybe the other guys will have some input.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
... Of course you could set their email client to text only so the hyperlinks don't work, but then the pictures wont' shop up in the body of the email, and they likely won't like that. 

I doubt any of them use an email client. They just go to AOL.com and sign in.

I have business customers that use AOL. Very unprofessional.  I've even set up email and their email clients with accounts through the cable company but they never use them.

See if you can block AOL.com at their router and tell them that, haven't you heard, AOL is out of business.  :008:

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:05:35 PM »
 :011:  Nice, Hal. 
"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."―Haruki Murakam

Offline oobie

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
We have some accounts that are in the medical field that won't accept emails from AOL accounts.  That is part of there Security team standards and they don't budge on it. 

Gary Frisco

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 04:18:50 PM »
We have some accounts that are in the medical field that won't accept emails from AOL accounts.  That is part of there Security team standards and they don't budge on it.

Nice, Gary.  I draw some of those lines in the sand with networks we administrate and catch some flack over it at times.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.