Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sl 2100 / T1 dropping calls  (Read 1981 times)

Online Skip555

Sl 2100 / T1 dropping calls
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
New install , in early December everything working fine until two weeks ago . now it randomly drops calls . Did a system reset , confirmed system ground  ran sidetone test .  Talking to the women who answer most calls and they say they here a noise on the line then dead air . I made a call and a minute or so in it dropped and gave me dial tone.  Called back and talked for 10 min or so with no drops . One of the women said she timed it and dropped every 6 min while she was on a conference call  the other day . Not all calls just random

Century link says they ran extensive tests and nothing wrong on their end . This is a straight wink start T1

I looked at alarms and I don't see anything unexpected

I'm going back tomorrow and I'll give century link and Necntac a call and see  what they say 

Stacey gave me a list of things to check the other day and it all looks OK

Settings :ESF (24 Multi frame )
              B8zs
              External clock source
              number of ports auto

Trunk timers are all default

Again ,worked fine  until two weeks ago , no program changes  on my end .

Any suggestions
---------------------------------------------
Skip

...Serving SW and West Central Fl since '84

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Sl 2100 / T1 dropping calls
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 05:38:10 PM »
Skip, is the T-1 going straight to the cabinet, or is it feeding to an ATA and then analog to a line card?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Skip555

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
Trace, straight to the T1 card
Skip

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Ouch.  Short of a card going bad, I'm really leaning toward a carrier issue.  The fact that at one point, however, it was dropping at a regular interval (6 minutes) that really discounts the hardware failure issue.  You can't normally set your watch by a hardware failure.  Okay, a weak capacitor could get close, but in that case the issue wouldn't go away.

Skip I had an issue a while back with a SIP provider where the call would drop at 120 minutes like clockwork.  Head of VoIP claimed that had gone to enginnering, contacted the switch manufacturer, etc.  Swore there was nothing else.  Even the CEO of their company had this issue.  After they fired him, the new lackey found the timer within hours.  Moral to the story is Century Link's word is only as good as the tech that is telling them he checked everything.

Occam's Razor:  The most obvious answer is almost always someone screwed up.  - Gregory House, M.D.
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online Skip555

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:40:22 PM »
Thanks Trace , I had a lot of trouble setting this up , century link kept giving me the wrong circuit Info . After numerous calls I finally got someone at Century link who looked and told me it was a Wink Start Straight T1 , not Pri like they had been telling me . Got the right info and we got it up and running until this week .

Im going to try for a vendor meet .

Stacey was a big help in getting this going to start
Skip

Online CMDL_GUY

• Administrator
    • www.lscg.net
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
This sounds like a clocking issue on the carrier end.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

“Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”   -John Adams

K4LRM

www.lscg.net

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Online Skip555

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 08:30:19 PM »
thanks Larry , Ill suggest that If I can actually talk to someone who has a clue
Skip

Online Keighlar

• Tech II Business Services
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 08:34:26 PM »
I remember that now, Skip.  I don't know why I had it confused in my head, thinking they were handing off analog.  Too many programmed systems stuffed in the grey matter.

I really do hate to say it, because I know how hard it is to troubleshoot with a carrier when you can't see what they're actually doing, but I'm going to bet on carrier.  If you had a T1/PRI card laying around, you could try to swap it, but not too many of us have one of those in our back pocket.  :p
“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck

Online Skip555

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
a little too much money for me to have sitting on the shelf , Stacey . My plan is to  call NECNTAC in the morning and see what they say then try to get somewhere with Century link . I don't know if you remember but we couldn't get it to connect , couldn't get it to connect until I found someone at century link to look closely at it and give me the correct specs for the circuit

I don't  want to put the customer in the middle , I just want to get it to work  before she called me she called century link and they said they did "comprehensive overnight testing "and found no problems on their end .

Skip

Online silversam

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 11:25:47 PM »
Skip - do you have a T-Bird or a Sunset or some other T-Carrier tester?

If you do, stress test the sh*t out of the span (to a loopback). If it passes then go head-to-head with a carrier tech. If that passes, then it ain't the span. You'll have to look at your switch or the carrier's switch (good luck with that!)

If you don't have a tester, either rent one or insist that the carrier come out to the job site and test the circuit. Watch them and make sure it passes.

If you need the stress tests, I can send them to you.

Sam

Online Skip555

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:17 AM »
thanks Sam , I don't have any T1 test equipment . I'm going back in today and I 'll see if NEC has any thoughts , then I'll push Century link for a vendor meet .
Skip

Offline NFCphoneman

• Jacksonville Telephone Systems
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
I bet there are slips occurring. It's always the carrier with digital circuits. Plus, who gets a straight T1 nowadays?

Online Skip555

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »
Larry ,  We replaced a Nec electra Elite that crashed so the old T1 circuit was existing

Necntac says

"since you are hearing noise "static" on the call this indicates al low level issue on the T1span itself typically a CRC error issues cause byu frame slips / clocking issues. "

I had it happen to me again when I was there today , on the call , a couple of clicks and disconnect

Customer reopened trouble ticket with centurylink and requested a site visit . I  called and centurylink said everything was clean when they tested 
Skip

Offline ttech

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 09:18:58 PM »
Do you have a CSU between the phone system and the circuit?   I’ had a few T-1s back in the Merlin legend days, that a CSU smoothed it out enough for errors  to not affect the calls.   

Online Skip555

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
Thanks , Don  Im looking into CSU

Here's what century link  said and my response

1. Ensure you are timing off the line/circuit.  ( We are , our equipment looks to the circuit for timing )
2. Timing card in equipment could be going bad either check/change it.  (no signs of that , its less  than 6 months old )
3. Change the main circuit id you are timing off of to a different circuit, then reboot equipment. Then clear your counters, do a reset on equipment.( there is only one circuit )
4. Change circuit back to original circuit you were timing from.  ( there is only one circuit , and we never changed it )

they tested remotely Im requesting send a tech to test on site ?vendor meet
Skip