Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Carrier Head Scratcher  (Read 1399 times)

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
Carrier Head Scratcher
« on: February 06, 2019, 11:56:13 AM »
Maybe one of the carrier guys will have a good answer for this, if there can be one?

I've seen this before, but never to this level.  I quit using http://whatismyip.com as my default a long time ago because I was getting IPs back that weren't true.  I moved to http://www.ipchicken.com and it's been pretty solid.

So with all the new security lockdowns, we decided to restrict Global VPN access to white listed IP locations.  Then if a tech needs in from someplace different, they can just check their IP, call it in and we'll add it temporarily.  I get my rules created and all is well. Then it comes time to test.

I'm using an AT&T MiFi mobile hotspot for testing on their cellular network.

IP Chicken says my IP is: 107.77.201.76

I put that in as a trusted location and I can't connect.  WTF?  I'm thinking it's a rule issue.  Nope, all looks good.

I go to what is my ip, and it gives me a different 107 address.  That one doesn't work either.

So I open the rule up to allow anything to connect, and the logs show I'm connecting from 166.137.105.47.

So I go to this site, myphonetechs, and start browsing to see what the logs here say.  They say I'm on the board from 166.137.143.46.

Where it gets even more bizarre is that each of these sites holds onto this address.  It's not like my address changed every few minutes.  Later if I go back to  any of these places, it still says I'm using the IP it referenced last time almost like a DHCP table serving you the same address each time as long as it's available.

Any of you carrier guys know why this is happening?  :035:

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline Marc Haycook

• Administrator
Re: Carrier Head Scratcher
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »
Nope. Ain't never seen that one...  :011:
Marc Haycook
CCNA
Sport-Touring