Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Steve McQueen car found  (Read 960 times)

Online RATHER BE FISHING

Another Steve McQueen car found
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
Vertical Comdial Dx80 and  DX120 Voice Mail Repair/Compact Flash Cards
Comdial Debut Compact Flash Cards

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
Re: Another Steve McQueen car found
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »
That's crazy.  I wonder what that find is worth?
-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »
I had forgotten all about that movie. But like anything with Steve's name it'll bring big bucks.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:33:33 PM »
LoL I enjoy watching movies and TV series from the 70's just to see the cars. The Rockford Files and Starsky & Hutch are a couple of good one's.

The 70's produced some of the best cars even though the "Gas Crunch" was fast approaching. The younger car guys today just don't have a clue of how good a big block V-8 sounded and felt when you built it yourself and fired it up for the first time!  Open headers vibrated your chest and the ground under your feet. It was gas guzzeling raw horse power!

These cars of today sound like a pissed off cricket to me. I will admit that they do get speed out of these 4 & 6 banger's but I seriously doubt that they could outrun the big V-8's long run, or as we used to say "Top End".

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
Bobby you'd never know it, but there is a little shop out in the sticks SE of the broadcast towers.  It's been there for generations and they build some of the most pristine classics you'll ever see.  People ship frames from all over the country to them.  The place is about 10 minutes from me, and right now one of the things they're doing a lot is taking the car you want from the past, and building it out into "your car." Maybe it's a 68 Camero, but unless you want it restored factory, it can have disc brakes, today's A/C, seats, and interior...however you like it.  So you may pay serious bucks for your new car, but in 10-20 years, it'll likley still be worth what you paid or more; unlike buying one off the lot.

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 07:36:00 PM »
That's exactly what I want to do with a '68 Mustang I bought when I was 17 years old. I want it to be new as far as the brakes and such. The old drum brakes that are on it are dangerous. If one of the front brakes gets wet, and they do when it rains, when you mash the brakes the dry wheel grabs and the other one doesn't! I've came so close to hitting parked cars so many times when I drove that thing.

Online MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
I know what you're talking about with the brakes!  Been there myself.

These guys can make it look like it just rolled off the assembly line, or just left the custom shop.  I've seen the James Bond cars in there, Back to the Future cars, and the list goes on.  The owner was getting a personal tour of Jay Leno's collection by Jay last time he was in CA.  I've had him do some body work for me on a couple of things, but nothing that cool.

Online silversam

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 08:23:05 PM »
I need to buy Fran's favorite car and have it modernized.

She had a'72 Chevy Biscayne with a 350 V8.

She loved that car and drove it till the Brooklyn streets killed it.

Sam

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
Love those 60s and early 70s full size Chevys.

Online silversam

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
I think the Biscayne was slightly smaller then the Impala, but it was still a boat! And the trunk!

You could have put a dance studio in it :011:

Sam

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
Biscayne , Bel-Air, Impala, and Caprice were all the same car....just varied with option trim levels getting pricier and shinier in that order. Hard to believe but in 1965 Chevy sold over 1 million Biscayne,  Bel-Air and Impalas. The Super Sport packages still command high dollar to collectors.

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 02:42:42 PM »
Forgot to mention the back seats were good size too. We called the cars mobile mattresses.

Offline JWRacedog

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
1977 Monte Carlo, Mint Green.  Nice car to get out and go on the interstate but heavy doors to get in and out of for in town stop & go.  My dad bought it new in 1977---I sold it in  1997 to a young Tex/Mex kid in Rockford, IL.  He had plans to make a low rider out of it.  I don't know if he did or not.
Retired Now

Online RATHER BE FISHING

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
I had a 1977 El Camino that color. :003:

Here's one I am tempted to fly to Wisconsin to check on. First car I ever smoked the tires on was a 69 Impala.

https://diversionmotors.com/101043

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 10:24:57 PM »
These cars remind me of one of my Uncles that was an alcoholic big time but that guy always drove fast cars and trucks.

He showed up once in a '64 Ford F-100 with racing 50's on the back and 3 on the tree. My parents weren't home and I was only 12 years old and barely could drive but he was drunk enough to let me behind the wheel and I was not going to pass up the opportunity so I got behind the wheel to drive him someplace to get something for him to eat. With those big 50's and the way he had that truck geared the only way I could take off without stalling was to gas the hell out of it and pop the clutch. To this day I still can't believe someone didn't call the Po Po on me but if they did I never got caught.

He showed up when I was 14 in a '69 Ford Galaxie 500. That was the first car I smoked the tires in.  :011: