Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HDMI connection kills traditional audio outputs on laptop  (Read 73 times)

Online EV607797

HDMI connection kills traditional audio outputs on laptop
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
I have run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my flat screen and it works perfectly.  I'd like to keep this cable connected permanently, but when it's connected, the only sound output available is through the TV.  I only use the HDMI connection to watch online video content, so it's not something I use on a regular basis.  I'd like to be able to have the video playing on the TV, but the audio through my sound system.

Is there a setting on a PC running on Windows 8.1 that allows both the HDMI audio AND the earphone jack output simultaneously?  I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline oobie

• Technician
Re: HDMI connection kills traditional audio outputs on laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:20 AM »
Ed,
You should be able to right click on your little speaker and choose playback devices.  From there you should be able to pick your sound card or the HDMI connection
Gary Frisco

Offline TexasTechnician

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
Do you have outputs on the TV? If you do you should be bale to connect them to the sound system.

Online EV607797

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
Gary:  No luck there; the HDMI output isn't one of the available output options.  Only the internal speakers are available.

Bobby:  Yes, my TV does have a sound output, but it's optical and my 1984 Maranz system doesn't allow that kind of input.

Thanks for the ideas so far!
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com