Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for specific screws  (Read 476 times)

telemarv and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline silversam

Re: Looking for specific screws
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »
So, Ed....

Now that you found them - do you have any specific purpose for them?

I was thinking, we always used 8x3/4 for mounting 89b's 8x1.5 for wall phones and 10x1 for most other things.

What's so special about these?

Sam

Offline ttech

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
Well Ed your right,  they are great screws. 

I have gotten the odd few of those screws on uninstalls and what not,  but never really used them exclusively on a job.   
I hate bugle head screws aka drywall screws because they don’t lay flat on the back and there is really little to no use for them in our profession,  ecpecially 66 blocks.  There are a few ty-wrap mounts I use them for bits that’s about it.

I have been using lathe screws and they are great,  but being able to use any screw driver I have handy,  and a magnetized nut driver is a big plus. 

I did an office in an old house job and reaching up between dark, awkward joists to put up J-hooks was a breeze with the magnetic 1/4” driver  on the Milwaukee m12.

My box has been in the car for a few weeks and I didn’t really think to use them. Thanks for re-introducing me to them.   

Online EV607797

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
Sam, they're just a really handy universal screw.  You can use about any means of driving them; flat-head, Phillips or 1/4" hex.  They have aggressive threads which make them easy to install by hand and the heads are small enough to rival a comparable #8 or #10 pan-head sheet metal screw.  I recently purchased a Klein 11-way screwdriver that has a 1/4" hex head socket with a very thin wall, so it even fits into the screw cavities of a 42A block, etc.  When using this and these screws, it's nice to be able to load the screw and go without fear of it falling out of the traditional screwdriver, as with Phillips.

https://alliedboltinc.com/Fasteners/Slotted-Phillip-Hex-Washer-Type-17-Screw~408/8-X-1-inch-SLOTTED-PHILLIP-HEX-WASHER-TYPE-17-SCREW-ZINC-YELLOW~6112

Don, I'm embarrassed to say that I can't find them anywhere that sells them direct to consumers.  They seem to be catering to the CATV industry.  Might I ask where you got yours?  As of now, I'm just stealing them from abandoned hardware in utility closets and putting them in a little box in my tool bag.  I'd like to have some #8 X 1" and #10 X 1" for starters.
Ed Vaughn

(540) 623-7100 (V)  (540) 693-5800 (F)
EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 11:19:39 AM »
Interesting.  I missed the fact that there was a Type 17 bit slot in them too.  Kind of the Swiss Army Knife of screws.

BTW, "Call to Order - This product is available from Graybar but cannot be ordered online. Please contact your local branch or our Customer Service Team at 1-855-347-2839."

https://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/6112-25925598#

Also, I can't find the exact one, but I bet if you call you can order them here: 

https://www.alliedbolt.com/hexwaheslshm.html

-I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Offline ttech

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »
I’ll find out Ed

Offline jknichols

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
Interesting.  I missed the fact that there was a Type 17 bit slot in them too.  Kind of the Swiss Army Knife of screws.

Actually, if I Googled it right, "Type 17" does not refer to the bit slot, but rather the thread pattern and specific drill point.

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
I think you're right, JK.  In my mind I was thinking of that square bit that is also used for an 8 point star screw, but the Type 17 must refer to that cut away that gives the point of the screw that razor sharp bite.

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »
I think you're right, JK.  In my mind I was thinking of that square bit that is also used for an 8 point star screw, but the Type 17 must refer to that cut away that gives the point of the screw that razor sharp bite.

That "cut away" makes it self drilling in heavier gauge metals. Even another plus!

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online EV607797

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 10:54:47 PM »
I’ll find out Ed

Hey, Don:  Any luck with the info?  I can't find them anywhere for a private buyer to purchase them.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com

Offline MacGyver

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
No luck with that Graybar link?

Online hbiss

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
Anybody check Grainger?

-Hal
I gotta get out of this business...

COMSYSTEC- Phone Systems | paging systems | background music systems | foreground music systems | retail music | restaurant music

Online telemarv

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
Just use the best screw ever invented. The Robertson head.
Marv CCNA

If people had more manners... we'd need fewer laws.

Online EV607797

« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 11:01:24 PM »
Grainger, Graybar, etc. won't work for me because I'm just looking to buy them as a consumer in small quantities.  They only sell wholesale, don't they?  I don't own a business, and the company I work for isn't interested in that part of things.  I'm just looking to make my life easier.
Ed Vaughn

EMVaughn3@Outlook.com